If you're here, you're probably interested in working on Holodeck instead of just using it. You might find it helpful to consult the Developer Wiki
Holodeck is an open source project built primarily for training reinforcement learning agents in the unreal engine. It is built for use with Unreal Engine 4.22, with bindings for python to communicate with the agents in the environments. For best results, use windows.
This repository contains everything you need to build environments in the Unreal Engine for Holodeck. If you want to use worlds that have already been built that you can communicate with in python, look at the holodeck repo.
- A description of currently implemented sensors can be found here.
- Agent descriptions can be found here.
- Holodeck can be run either from editor or by selecting run from standalone game, however nothing will happen until the python client begins.
- Install Unreal Engine 4.22
- After starting the Epic Games Launcher click on the Unreal Engine tab, then the Library option
- Select add a new engine version and then version 4.22 and install
- Install Git LFS
- Visual Studio 2017 including "Game development with C++" and "Unreal Engine installer" modules as outlined here.
- Clone the repository:
git clone https://github.com/byu-pccl/holodeck-engine
- Navigate to the root folder and right click Holodeck.uproject -> Generate Visual Studio project files
- Right click Holodeck.uproject -> Switch Unreal Engine Version -> 4.22
- Run Holodeck.uproject (It will ask you to rebuild, click yes)
- If you get a "ExampleLevel.umap appears to be an asset file" error you have not configured git-lfs correctly.
git lfs pull.
- If you get a "ExampleLevel.umap appears to be an asset file" error you have not configured git-lfs correctly. Try
Building For Linux
For a great tutorial, see the wiki page
BYU does not own the world assets used in the packaged binary version of holodeck so we are not able to offer them in non binary format. However by migrating a level into holodeck, any unreal world can be built into a holodeck environment. To do so follow this guide.
If you are having problems with holodeck, open the project in visual studio, then in the explorer right click on Holodeck, and click clean, then try to build again.