This is designed to be an easy layout to modify for your own blog. It was based on zachholman's blog themes: the "old" one, now opensourced as left, and also in his actual theme, that's not opensource (I believe), but I steal some ideas anyway. I also took something from jekyll-bootstrap, and, of course, I'm using bootstrap as a base for all the thing.
- Install Jekyll:
gem install jekyll
- Fork this repository
- Rename it to
- Clone it:
git clone https://github.com/YOUR-USER/YOUR-USER.github.com
- Run the jekyll server in the blog folder:
You should have a server up and running locally at http://localhost:4000.
Next you'll want to change a few things. The list of files you may want to change is the following:
- _config.yml: Put your config there, almost everything will be up and running.
- about.html: Well, that's about you, I'll gonna change it if I am you... OH WAIT!
- CNAME: If you're using
this on GitHub Pages with a custom domain name, you'll want to change this
to be the domain you're going to use. All that should be in here is a
domain name on the first line and nothing else (like:
- favicon.ico: This is a smaller version of my gravatar for use as the icon in your browser's address bar. You should change it to whatever you'd like.
- apple-touch-icon.jpg: Again, this is my gravatar, and it shows up in iOS and various other apps that use this file as an "icon" for your site.
You should deploy with GitHub Pages- it's just easier.
All you should have to do is rename your repository on GitHub to be
username.github.com. Since everything is on the
gh-pages branch, you
should be able to see your new site at http://username.github.com.
This is MIT with no added caveats, so feel free to use this on your site without linking back to me or using a disclaimer or anything silly like that.
If you'd like give me, holman (from left layout), plusjade (from jekyll-bootstrap), fat and mdo (from bootstrap) credit somewhere on your all-new blog or tweet a shout out to us, well hey, sure we'll take it.