Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Clone this wiki locally
A modification for Hexen II
Current Release 1.3
This mod started with a question? “What if I WANT to fight the monsters?”
Let’s face it. Hexen II was an otherwise unfinished game. Combat is stiff. Mana placement leaves ranged players hacking away with melee weapons. Monsters are unpredictable and players are expected to kill them in their first frame of animation in order to advance. It lacks features and charm that heretic started but Hexen perfected. Hexen II is an RPG, and a lot of effort went into making it a rather beautiful experiment for its time. But RPGs differ from most games. In action games, every monster is an obstacle to your goal. Fighting less monsters is a faster path to success. Even Hexen used monsters as obstacles. Hexen II created a dynamic where players should want to kill monsters, but skipping monsters is the best path forward.
With that in mind, I started making the melee weapons more useful and added a feature to heal on level gains. This made it FUN to kill monsters. Not only do I need their blood soaked XP, I want to fight them. I want to challenge myself. So from there I started to ask some of the obvious questions. “Why do I need this tome to throw my hammer?” and “Why doesn’t the necromancer raise the dead?”. “Am I playing the next fusion of fantasy and first person shooters, or am I playing a re-skinned quake?”
Each feature of the mod stems from one of these fundamental questions. Hexen II got so close to what the original Quake wanted to be. Perhaps we can finish that work.
Below you’ll see a list of features. Anything marked in plain text is completed and anything marked in gray is a work in progress.
- Damage based on player stats
- Removed level caps
- Increased stats when leveling
- Fill mana and health on new level
- Alt fire modes for weapons with new functionality!
- Access to “tome” powers for some weapons without active tome
- Mana cost balancing
- Respawning monsters (for level grinding)
- Random item drop improvements (for restocking)
- Rewrote XP system!
- Needed XP is currently level * 1000
- XP meter resets with level to make it easier to track progress
- Various XP fixes and updates (v1.0)
- Monster respawn fixes and updates (v1.0)
- Force Cube and Precache crash fixes (v1.1)
- Monsters now spawn with a randomized monster buff types! (v1.1)
- Monster buff types are: Normal, Large, Spectre, Ghost, and Leader
- Buffed monsters give more XP and are more dangerous
- Respawned monsters have higher chance of becoming buffed
- Added whip sound
- Added mana bonus when gaining levels depending on Int score (keeps int relevant at higher levels)
- Additional crash fixes (door crash, angel respawn crash) (v1.3)
- Fixed teleporting monster bugs (v1.3)
- Updated targeting logic for Frost Touch and Ice Rod (v1.3)
- Fixed force cube damage and spawn time. (Previously did about 15 damage and was pretty useless) (v1.3)
- Updated leader monster buff logic and spawn types (v1.3)
- Advanced brawling attacks (charge, uppercut)
- Vorpal Sword lightning attack without tome
- Axe can be used as melee weapon
- Flame attack with Purifier
- Hammer throw without tome
- Down attack attack for hammer when jumpig
- Ice mace drain health attack
- Ice Mace animation improvements
- Made holy strength a melee only ability
- Sickle lightning attack (increases with level)
- Homing magic missiles without tome
- Added Shocking grasp spell
- Replaced rapid fire bones with explosive bones.
- Added summoning attack.
- Balanced shocking grasp damage and size of cone
- Whip attack (offhand for all weapons)
- Charge up ethereal crossbow
- Doesn’t take fall damage
- Updated backstab logic to use dexterity stat
- Added whip sound
To install, download the latest zip file, extract to your base hexen 2 directory (example: C:\Hexen II), and start the game with the command -game gameoftomes Download latest: Version 1.3