This repo contains the code/data for the article "Where's the fastest place to put my server? How much does it matter?" on my website.
- a database called
- postgis extension installed in that database
- Python 3
- the packages in the requirements.txt
- the shapely wheel doesn't get on with libgeos on debian stable, so I had
to use the following magic incantation:
pip install shapely --no-binary shapely
- the shapely wheel doesn't get on with libgeos on debian stable, so I had to use the following magic incantation:
- Maxmind's "GeoLite2 City" database file,
- A few C libraries, the debian packages for which are:
If you just want to see what I did, best to read the makefile directly.
- geocoded-cities.csv - my, hand corrected, geocoding of Wonder Network city names (except "Koto", "Malaysia", "Mexico" and "Monticello" - which I can't narrow down) to Geoname's geoid
- partial-geocode.sql - query I used to extract data to create the above
- get-connectedness.sql - query to get internet speeds vs speed of light