Laptop is a script to set up a Mac OS X laptop for Rails development.
- Install a C compiler.
Use OS X GCC Installer for Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6).
Use Command Line Tools for XCode for Lion (OS X 10.7) or Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8).
Set zsh as your login shell.
chsh -s /bin/zsh
Run the script:
zsh < <(curl -s https://raw.github.com/thoughtbot/laptop/master/mac)
What it sets up
- Ack for finding things in files
- Bundler gem for managing Ruby libraries
- Foreman gem for serving Rails apps locally
Heroku gem for interacting with the Heroku API Heroku Config plugin for local
- Homebrew for managing operating system libraries
- ImageMagick for cropping and resizing images
Postgres for storing relational data
Rails gem for writing web applications
- Ruby stable for writing general-purpose code
- RVM for managing versions of the Ruby programming language
- SSH public key for authenticating with Github
- Tmux for saving project state and switching between projects
It should take less than 15 minutes to install (depends on your machine).
Laptop is maintained and funded by thoughtbot, inc. The names and logos for thoughtbot are trademarks of thoughtbot, inc.
Thank you, contributors!
Laptop is © 2011-2012 thoughtbot, inc. It is free software, and may be redistributed under the terms specified in the LICENSE file.