The O.G. NESasm assembler for NES 6502 assembly, version 3.1 (Latest as of March 2016). Includes
Makefile for OS X / Linux / other Unix-like OSes.
cd source && make && sudo make install
Then run the assembler with
usage.txt for more details.
Original source, by bunnyboy, is available here.
The only modifications I (@camsaul) made were inclusion of the
Makefile, which was adapted from the one included with MagicKit, the text files,
which were found in various places in the aforementioned sites and by lots of research/searching on my part, and the addition of the resources list below.
Here are various resources that I've found useful in my quest to master NES homebrew game development:
- NerdyNights NES Programming Tutorials
- Beagle Bros. 6502 Cheatsheet
- Programming the 65816 (PDF of book available for free)
- NES Technical Documentation by YOSHi
- I Am Error: Platform Studies (book)
- FCEUX - Emulator w/ Debugging Capabilities
- Tile Layer PRO - CHR Editor (Windows)
- NES CHR Editor (Mac OS X)
- Hacking the Legend of Zelda (video)
- NES Scrolling Tutorial (video)
- Programming the 6502 (video)
- Programming the Nintendo Entertainment System (video)