Clone this wiki locally
General Resources & Beginner Guides
If you are new to Capistrano 2.x please read Getting Started; once you are familiar with the basics, you may want to read From the beginning which is a much more detailed tutorial. There is also an FAQ here.
You may also want to read and/or contribute to the Capistrano handbook - an immature document that holds some really useful tips, but needs a lot more work!
Frameworks & Tools
- API Documentation
- DSL Documentation
- Configuration Variables
- Capistrano Tasks
- Formatting Logs
- Upgrading to Rails 4
Useful Background Knowledge (3rd Party Articles)
- Unix shell skills (Wordpress guide, but very readable for beginners)
3rd Party Extensions
- capistrano-windows-server Deploy Rails apps to Windows servers
- capistrano-offroad For deploying non-rails apps, specifically Django
- capistrano-nc OS X Notification center add-on to Capistrano
- capistrano_winrm Run commands against MS Windows servers with WinRM
- capify-ec2 A number of utilities to help with deploying to amazon ec2 instances
- resque_utils Helper tasks for remote Resque deployments (requeue & remove failed jobs)
- capistrano-ash For deploying Magento, Drupal, WordPress, and Zend/Doctrine apps
- play-capistrano For deploying/controlling remote Play Framework apps
- capifony For deploying symfony and Symfony2 apps
- capcake extension of Capistrano, deploy CakePHP apps
- capistrano-chef Integrates Capistrano with Chef search
- capistrano-puppet Integrates Capistrano with Puppet
- capistrano-deploytags Track your current and all previous releases with Git tags automatically at deployment time
- cap_git_tools Another approach to automatically git tagging at deployment, guarding against deploying with uncommitted changes, multi-stage deployment with git, and other git tasks.
- capistrano-detect-migrations Automatically discover and warn about pending Rails migrations with Git before you deploy
- capistrano-notifier Notify via mail and StatsD when deploying
- capistrano-remote-cache-with-project-root Adds a new deployment strategy to deploy your app from an internal folder (non-root).
- magentify Deployment recipes customised for deployment of Magento projects.
- uberspacify Uberspacify helps you deploy a Ruby on Rails app on Uberspace, a popular shared hosting provider.
- Capistrano::Rsync Deploy with Rsync from any local (or remote) repository. Works (only) with the new Capistrano v3!
- capistrano-conditional Adds support for conditionally running deployment tasks based on which files have been changed.
cap-elb Deploy to AWS instance sets behind an Amazon ELB (load balancer).
- capistrano-db-tasks Useful DB and Assets tasks
3rd Party Tutorials
- Other Software Packages
- Other Languages / Frameworks
- Using Capistrano for deploying PHP and other none Rails based websites
- Any Non-Rails Project
There are extensive archives of questions and answers also at stackoverflow.com, tagged #capistrano.
For bugs and problems please open an issue in the Github issues page - preferably with a patch, test-case, or steps-to-reproduce. Pull requests on Github will be ignored without a corresponding ticket, as there is no history of changes or forum for discussion without submitting a ticket.