I have grand aspirations for this code. For now: silly simple.
- Ruby Gems
- Gem Bundler
- ruby-graphviz gem
- A project with a Bundler Gemfile. May I suggest a Rails 3 app?
Either copy this file into a dir with a Gemfile or set the Gemfile path manually by assigning
What you'll see
- Blue nodes: explicit requires from the Gemfile
- Grouped dependencies in boxes (unless a dependency is in many non-default groups, GraphViz doesn't handle this)
- Rectangle nodes: System Gems
I have a lot of crazy ideas. No clue if this is going to become anything. But it's fun...
- Turn it into an actual module, as opposed to just a bunch of ruby in a file
- Turn it into an actual Gem. Seems appropriate.
- Make it an extension/plugin to Bundler
- Support exporting to HTML with embedded SVG...maybe with some hover effects, links to RubyGems.org for each package, etc.
- Be slightly more robust about handling gems -> not just using their simple names
- Show version info, etc. Version requested vs what was picked, etc.
Your ideas? Share!