pyproject.toml is a new configuration file defined in
PEP 518. It is design to store
build system requirements, but it can also store any tool configuration for your
Python project, possibly replacing the need for
setup.cfg or other
pyproject.toml is pretty awesome, so this
awesome list contains projects already
using it, or discussing its inclusion.
Do you know of any other project not included here? Please submit a PR!
- Code Formatting
- Code Analysis
- Project Templates
- Other Tools
- Projects discussing the use of pyproject.toml
- Coverage.py - Code coverage measurement for Python.
- pytest - A testing framework that makes it easy to write small tests, yet scales to support complex functional testing.
- Tox - A generic virtualenv manager to run test in different environments.
- Ward - A modern Python test framework designed to help you find and fix flaws faster.
- autopep8 - A tool that automatically formats Python code to conform to the PEP 8 style guide.
- Black - The uncompromising Python code formatter.
- flake8-isort - flake8 plugin that integrates isort.
- isort - A Python utility / library to sort imports alphabetically, and automatically separated into sections.
- FlakeHell - Flake8 wrapper to make it nice, legacy-friendly, configurable.
- Flake9 - Flake8 fork that supports reading config from
- interrogate - Interrogate a codebase for docstring coverage.
- Nitpick - Flake8 plugin to enforce the same tool configuration (flake8, isort, mypy, Pylint...) across multiple Python projects.
- Pylint - A tool that checks for errors in Python code, tries to enforce a coding standard and looks for code smells.
- pytest-pylint - A pytest plugin for running pylint against your codebase.
- Unimport - Detects unused python libraries.
- wemake-python-styleguide - The strictest and most opinionated python linter ever!
- BeeWare Briefcase - Tools to support converting a Python project into a standalone native application.
- check-wheel-contents - Check your wheels have the right contents.
- DepHell - Project management for Python. Manage packages: convert between formats, lock, install, resolve, isolate, test, build graph, show outdated, audit. Manage venvs, build package, bump version.
- Flit - A simple way to put Python packages and modules on PyPI.
- Maturin - Build and publish crates with pyo3, rust-cpython and cffi bindings as well as rust binaries as python packages.
- pip - The package installer for Python. You can use pip to install packages from the Python Package Index and other indexes.
- Poetry - A tool for dependency management and packaging in Python. It allows you to declare the libraries your project depends on and it will manage (install/update) them for you.
- Pyflow - An installation and dependency system for Python.
- setuptools_scm - Handles managing your Python package versions in SCM metadata instead of declaring them as the version argument or in a SCM managed file.
Python project templates or project generators supporting
- cookiecutter-pylibrary - Cookiecutter template for a Python python library.
- Jace's Python Template - A template for new Python libraries.
- PyPA Sample Project - A sample project that exists for PyPUG's "Tutorial on Packaging and Distributing Projects".
- PyScaffold - Python project template generator with batteries included.
- Python Packages Project Generator - Cookiecutter template with state-of-the-art libraries and best development practices for Python.
- wemake-django-template - Bleeding edge django template focused on code quality and security.
- wemake-python-package - Bleeding edge cookiecutter template to create new python packages.
- Autohooks - Library for managing git hooks.
- Commitizen - Create commiting rules for projects, auto bump versions and auto changelog generation.
- datamodel-code-genrator - Creates Pydantic data-model code from OpenAPI/JSON Schema files.
- django-pyproject - Django package to store some or all of your settings in your pyproject.toml file.
- Poetrify - Convert a Pipfile (or requirements.txt) to pyproject.toml for Poetry.
- poetry-setup - Generate setup.py (setuptools) from pyproject.toml.
- poetry-version - Python library for extracting version from poetry pyproject.toml file.
- Python License Checker - Check python packages from requirement.txt/pyproject.toml and report issues.
- Tartufo - Searches through git repositories and their history for high entropy strings and secrets.
- towncrier - A utility to produce useful, summarised news files for your project.
- Vendy - A tool for vendoring third-party packages into your project.
- zsh-autoswitch-virtualenv - ZSH plugin to automatically switch python virtualenvs and Pipenvs as you move between directories.
Projects discussing the use of
Some project are still considering the adoption of the
These entries link directly to the project discussion.
- Alembic - A database migrations tool for SQLAlchemy.
- AWS SAM - CLI tool to build, test, debug, and deploy Serverless applications using AWS SAM.
- Bandit - A tool designed to find common security issues in Python code.
- Briefcase Bootstrap Template - A template for starting a Python app that will be deployed using briefcase.
- bumpversion - Version-bump your software with a single command.
- bump2version - An interim fork with the intent to merge back to the original project.
- Dependency Parser - A parser for Python dependency files.
- flake8 - A python tool that glues together pep8, pyflakes, mccabe, and third-party plugins to check the style and quality of some python code.
- gitlint - Linting for your git commit messages.
- Invoke - Library for managing shell-oriented subprocesses and organizing executable Python code into CLI-invokable tasks.
- Mypy - An optional static type checker for Python (PEP 484).
- nose2 - The successor to nose. Its purpose is to extend unittest to make testing nicer and easier to understand.
- prospector - A tool to analyse Python code and output information about errors, potential problems, convention violations and complexity.
- pycodestyle - A tool to check your Python code against some of the style conventions in PEP 8.
- pyenv - Simple Python version management.
- pytest-benchmark - A pytest fixture for benchmarking code.
- PyOxidizer - A modern Python application packaging and distribution tool.
- pyup - tool to update your project's dependencies on GitHub. Runs on pyup.io, comes with a command line interface.
- readthedocs.org - Read the Docs hosts documentation for the open source community.
- setuptools - Easily download, build, install, upgrade, and uninstall Python packages.
- Spack - A flexible package manager that supports multiple versions, configurations, platforms, and compilers.
- Vulture - Finds unused code in Python programs.
- YAPF - A formatter for Python files.
To the extent possible under law, the authors have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.