Breakout 12: Mentoring: Pathways of Mentorship
Date: Thursday, 31 May
Time: 4:30-5:30 pm (1 hour)
What are the characteristics of a great mentor? How can I lead small groups of instructors and other community members to achieve a common goal? During this session, we will explore strategies and resources to help potential mentors prepare to lead groups around teaching Carpentries material, hosting self-organizing workshops, and maintaining Carpentries lessons. Participants will leave equipped with the tools to mentor individuals locally, and across the Carpentries’ global community.
Part 1: Introductions and Icebreakers
Part 2: Overview of Carpentries Mentoring
- Mentoring Groups
- Mentoring Subcommittee
Part 3: Group Breakouts
Split the room into topical round tables to discuss mentoring strategies for individuals who want to:
- Teach workshops
- Self-organizing workshops
- Maintain Carpentries lessons
Session Lead Notes
Part 4: Wrap-up & Discussion
- What resources can we as a community provide to address the questions we have as a group?
- What advice or resources do we have in general for mentors?
- Session leads go around the room and ask individuals what they are comfortable helping people with. Add information to this etherpad