The Carpentries Code of Conduct Transparency Report
2018 November 09
In the past six months, the Code of Conduct committee was notified of two incidents in workshops. For summary purposes, we categorized each report using the expectations from our Code of Conduct. If there are reprimands, they also serve as Code of Conduct committee records in the event that the committee receives additional complaints regarding the individual's behavior.
Potential Code of Conduct breaches included:
- Using language that is not welcoming and/or inclusive
- Not accepting constructive criticism gracefully
- Using verbal comments which have the effect of excluding people on the basis of membership of any specific group
Of the two potential Code of Conduct matters:
- Two were resolved post-workshop.
Summary of Reported Incidents
- An instructor was reported for using language that was not welcoming and/or inclusive in a workshop. The Code of Conduct committee resolved this incident by issuing a reprimand. The instructor was responsive to feedback, and the CoC committee will be monitoring the survey results from the instructor’s upcoming workshops to verify that such behavior does not occur again.
- An instructor was reported for using verbal comments which had the effect of excluding people on the basis of membership of a specific group in a workshop. The Code of Conduct committee resolved this issue by issuing a reprimand, requiring the reported individual to take a two month Termed Suspension, and requiring that the individual receive and be responsive to coaching from staff on culturally responsive teaching.
Summary of Police Matters
There were no police matters