Star Schema Benchmark using the Hive / Druid Integration
Pre-requisites to running this:
- Functional Druid cluster.
- A version of Hive that supports the Druid Storage Handler. This includes Apache Hive version 2.2 or later, or Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP) 2.6 or later.
- Apache Maven and gcc, for the data generator.
Before continuing, identify these things:
- Your desired data scale, in gigabytes. For example, a scale of 1000 equals about a TB of data
- Your HiveServer2 host:port
- The Druid overlord host
- The username and password for your Druid metadata database
- Build the data generator (native code)
- Package the data generator in a JAR file capable of being run as a MapReduce job to generate data within a Hadoop cluster
- Run a MapReduce job to generate "CSV" data within HDFS
- Run a Hive job to convert this "CSV" data into Hive tables
- Run a Hive job to push pre-aggregated data into Druid. This step may require you to create additional HDFS directories and set permissions if you're not using HDP.
If all goes well, you only run 3 commands:
- sh 00datagen.sh [scale] [hiveserver2:port]
- sh 00load.sh [scale] [hiveserver2:port] [overlord] [username] [password]
- sh 00run.sh [hiveserver2:port]
Example to run at scale 100:
sh 00datagen.sh 100 hive.example.com:10500 sh 00load.sh 100 hive.example.com:10500 druid.example.com druid password sh 00run.sh hive.example.com:10500