CATAMI Classification Scheme
Clone this wiki locally
The current version is v1.2 (v1.3 released soon)
Currently there is a lack of standardised approaches to the methodology, annotation, classification and analysis of this imagery. This makes comparison across disparate sites as well as further analysis very difficult. The CATAMI project aims to help solve some of these issues by enabling the aggregation of information derived from imagery through releasing a standardised classification scheme.
This classification scheme involved marine researchers from across Australia and covers biota / taxonomy (living things on the seafloor e.g. coral, sponges, algae, fish etc.) and physical (substrate - sand etc. and relief / disturbances). Another important feature is the hierarchical structure. It enables researchers to go into as much detail as desired for project specific purposes but allows a common 'higher' level classification for comparison across Australia.
By providing this structure we are able to unleash the potential of the previously isolated stores of imagery from all the various organisations around Australia. Data coming from CATAMI will enable marine researchers and managers to undertake better science and make better decisions as they monitor Australia's oceans.
In addition, the actual tools / equipment used to collect the imagery (e.g. Autonomous Underwater Vehicles, Towed Video, Baited Remote Underwater Video etc.) and the methodology used to 'score' the imagery (e.g. point counts, relative abundance etc) to create scored (processed) quantitative data (e.g. habitat coverage, fish lengths etc) are important in comparing and analysing data.
If you are interested in using the scheme please refer to the technical document below to start. For further information please contact email@example.com
Link to latest CATAMI CAAB codes
- Link to physical classification 'explodagram'
- Link to biota classification 'explodagram'
- Link to qualifiers of the physical and biota classification
- Link to current collection tools
- Link to current scoring methodology
- Link to CATAMI-CPC code files [created by Lachlan Toohey and Renata Ferrari]
- CAAB codes
- MESH (Mapping European Seabed Habitats
- Marine Habitat Classification for Britain & Ireland
- http://www.dassh.ac.uk/ - Data Archive for Seabed Species
- Parks Victoria - Review of Marine Habitat Classification Systems - Feb 2006
- National Intertidal/Subtidal Benthic Habitat Classification Scheme - Oct 2007
- [World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS)] (http://www.marinespecies.org/about.php)