Accessing data from FishBase using R
rfishbase is a package for interfacing with the fishbase.org database. It provides code to download and parse a local copy of fishbase, which can be used for rapid access for a variety of analysis functions.
- Published copy in Journal of Fish Biology
- Development version source code on github
- HTML package documentation
- Report issues, bugs or feature requests
rfishbase is available on CRAN and can be installed through the R package manager (see
install.packages). The latest (development) version is hosted here on github, and can be installed using the devtools package:
library(devtools) install_github("rfishbase", "ropensci")
rfishbase is developed by Carl Boettiger in collaboration with Duncan Temple Lang and Peter Wainwright, and is part of the rOpenSci project. This software, examples, and documentation are freely provided under the CC0 license.
- Froese, R. and D. Pauly. Editors. 2011. FishBase. World Wide Web electronic publication. www.fishbase.org, version (08/2011).
- Carl Boettiger, Duncan Temple Lang, Peter Wainwright (2012). rfishbase: exploring, manipulating and visualizing FishBase data from R, 2030–2039. Journal of Fish Biology. 81 (6). doi:10.1111/j.1095-8649.2012.03464.x