A curated list of awesome resources for Digital Nomads.
Looking for contributors. Submit a pull request if you have something to add :)
Please check the contribution guidelines for info on formatting and writing pull requests.
- Awesome Digital Nomads
- Travel Planning
- Getting Around
- Communities & Social
- Remote Jobs
- Security & Backup
- Food & Drink
- Team Collaboration
- Destination Guides
- Travel Visas
- Lonely Planet - The most recognised travel guides for over fourty years, start here for inspiration.
- Nomad List - Search for your next base using digital nomad friendly filters such as internet quality, living costs, and places to work.
- Atlas Obscura - The definitive guide to the world's wondrous and curious places.
- Wikivoyage - Fantastic free travel guides that anyone can edit.
- Triposo - Smart offline travel guides for your phone and tablet - iOS and Android.
- Time Out - Worldwide guide to art and entertainment, food and drink, film, travel and more.
- The Basetrip - Essential information for your next destination and how it compares to your home country.
- DESTIGOGO - Planning a short trip away from work on a budget? Use this simple tool to discover destinations that fit your timeframe and budget.
- VisaHQ - Easily find visa requirements for most countries around the world.
- Numbeo - The world’s largest database of user contributed data about cities and countries. Find information such as cost of living, housing indicators, health care, traffic, crime and pollution for your next destination.
- On The Grid - Neighborhood guides written by local creatives. Great for design-oriented travelers.
- Reddit Travel - Reddit board for travellers.
- Teleport - Compare cities on quality of life, cost of living, salaries and more.
- OpenSignal - Get better signal, find free Wifi and see which operator is best in your location.
- Quanto Custa Viajar - Information about how much it costs to travel for a specific place. In PT-BR.
- World Nomads - Travel insurance for short and long periods, with possiblity to cover the whole world.
- Atlas Travel Insurance - Customizable coverage for travelers looking to cover specific needs while abroad.
- SafetyWing - Nomad travel insurance for both short and long periods.
- Destination: Dev - Program that brings together 10 like-minded individuals for eight intense weeks of software development education and cultural immersion.
- Hacker Paradise - Hacker Paradise have been organising three month long coworking retreats for developers, designers and entrepreneurs since 2014.
- LiveWorkFit - A series of affordable one month retreats with a focus on mind and body health to maximize your business and personal potential.
- Nomad House - Spend 10 days exploring a new location, working hard (anywhere) and connecting to a community built on shared values.
- Unsettled - 30-day coworking retreats to take your work, life, and adventures beyond traditional borders.
- WiFi Tribe - Coworking retreat which allows you to hop on or off at any point, stay a month, or a year to explore a whole continent with like-minded individuals, one country at a time.
- Wifly Nomads - A brand new retreat launching in September 2017 designed to help fledgling nomads build startups, find remote work opportunities and learn nomadic lifestyle fundamentals.
- Nomad Cruise - Join over 150 other remote workers, entrepreneurs and digital nomads on a 15-day coworking cruise across the atlantic.
- Kiwi.com - Advanced flexible search tool for finding cheap flights.
- Kayak - View pricing trends for journeys and set up price alerts.
- AirWander - New kid on the block that helps you discover stopover destinations that'll save you money on your journey.
- FlyOnward - Rent an onward flight ticket for $9.99 to satisfy immigration requirements in countries such as Malaysia and New Zealand.
- App in the Air - Manage your upcoming flights and view your flight history - iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.
- Flightfox - Online travel agent that guarantees to save you money on your trip.
- SeatGuru - Aircraft seat maps to find the best seats for your flight.
- SleepingInAirports - Detailed airport guides to make the most of your time in limbo.
- Priority Pass - Gain access to over 1000 airline lounges worldwide with membership from US$99.
- LoungeBuddy - Book airport lounge access from US$25 in over 200 lounges worldwide.
- Hopper - Price prediction app that helps you choose the cheapest time to book your flight - iOS and Android.
- GTFO - Get The Flight Out - In a hurry? GTFO lists the cheapest flights out of your home airport within the next 24 hours iOS.
- Airbnb - Short term rooms and private apartments at affordable rates.
- Nomad Rental - Curated listings for Digital Nomad looking for short and long term serviced apartments and extended stay for weekly and monthly rental.
- Kayak - Compare hotel prices across leading booking websites including Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, and Hotels.com.
- Hostelworld - Budget accommodation for nomads that prefer a more social environment or need to keep costs down.
- Couchsurfing - The ultimate budget accommodation, meet new people and join in local experiences in exchange for a free bed or couch.
- Colive.co - Find and organise coliving arrangements with other nomads.
- Coliving - Find coliving spaces around the world to live with like-minded individuals.
- Booking - From hostels to hotels to guest houses.
- Agoda - Booking/Airbnb but much more suited to SE Asia.
- Moovit - The worlds largest transit app supporting over 1,200 cities in over 70 countries - iOS and Android.
- Citymapper - Arguably the best transit app available but limited to 40 cities. Use it when you can and fall back to Moovit if necessary - iOS and Android.
- Rome2rio - Global trip planner which gets you from A to B using flights, ferries, trains and buses. Great for when you're moving between cities - iOS and Android.
- Uber - The big daddy of ride sharing apps, it goes without saying this should be on your phone. Available in over 500 cities worldwide - iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.
- Lyft - The largest competitor to Uber in the United States for people who want an alternative - iOS and Android.
- Grab - Uber may be your go to taxi app for most of the world but, in SE Asia, Grab is king - iOS and Android.
- Wikivoyage - When Rome2rio or Moovit fail to provide directions you may just find the information you need on Wikivoyage. Destination guides here typically have 'get in', 'get around' and 'get out' sections, useful in some of the more rural areas.
- Maps.me - Offline maps and POIs to get you around on foot when you don't have an internet connection - iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire.
- Waze - The world's largest community-based traffic and navigation app. Perfect for those brave enough to drive abroad - iOS and Android.
- The Man in Seat Sixy-One - The ultimate guide to train travel around the world.
- 12Go Asia - Online service for booking trains, buses and ferries across large parts of SE Asia.
Communities & Social
- Nomad List Chat - Connect with other nomads to get advice or organise meetups.
- Digital Nomad Forum - Need advice from other nomads but don't have time to sit around waiting for answers in the chat room? Start a topic on the forum...
- Couchsurfing - Couchsurfing isn't just for free sofas. Find groups and social events in cities around the world.
- Meetup - Find and organise meetups in cities across the world.
- Facebook Groups - Find groups for buying/selling, hiking, common interests, local advice and more.
- Withlocals - Find paid tours and experiences with verified locals in over 20 countries.
- Visit - Immersive day activities you won't find anywhere else.
- Remote: Office Not Required - Great book by 37signals, which shows both employers and employees how they can work together, remotely, from any desk, in any space, in any place, anytime, anywhere.
- We Work Remotely - Find your next remote gig with the companion website to 'Remote: Office Not Required'.
- Remote Ok - Large directory of remote jobs from across the web.
- Freelancer - The world's largest freelancing and crowdsourcing marketplace by number of users and projects, connecting over 22 million employers and freelancers.
- Toptal - Join an exclusive network of the top freelance software developers, designers, and finance experts in the world. Top companies rely on Toptal freelancers for their most important projects.
- DailyRemote - Filter and find remote jobs for every role.
- Workfrom - The most comprehensive directory of public and private workspaces across the globe.
- Café Wifi - Find cafes nearby that are suitable for working from and details about them such as wifi speeds, power outlet availability and seating comfort - iOS.
- Copass - Global network of over 500 coworking spaces accessed via a single monthly membership.
- Hoffice - Find home offices to work from for free and meet new people in the process.
- Work Hard Anywhere - A collection of 7800+ work-optimized spaces in the palm of your hand. Mobile. Easy. Constantly updated by your fellow entrepreneurs, freelancers, and creatives - iOS and Android.
- Roost Laptop Stand - The original portable back-saving laptop stand.
- Corsair Flash Voyager Mini - Compact and stylish USB key which packs up to 128GB of memory.
- Tortuga Outbreaker Backpack - Pack smart with this second generation Tortuga carry on backpack.
- Minaal Carry-on 2.0 - A (more stylish?) alternative to the Tortuga Outbreaker with similar features. Check them both out and see which you prefer.
- Anker Portable Chargers - USB battery packs are an essential bit of kit these days and you can't go wrong with something from Anker.
- Omnicharge - For a portable charger that packs a bit more punch, check out the Omnicharge with its universal power outlet that will let you charge devices such as laptops in addition to your phone and tablet.
- Logitech MX Anywhere 2s - Logitech have a track record of releasing high quality peripherals and when it comes to portable mice they don't disappoint with the MX Anywhere 2s.
- UE Boom 2 - If you don't mind the extra weight then portable speakers are a great way to turn any room into a home. The UE Boom series consistently comes out top in reviews thanks to great sound, rugged protection and good looks.
- JBL Clip 2 - If you mind carrying extra weight, the JBL Clip 2 is a good option with only 184g. Quality is not as good as a stereo speaker but it still does the job pretty well.
- LaCie Rugged Mobile Storage - Keep your backups safe with a drive from the LaCie rugged series, trusted by professionals across the globe.
- Bose QC20 Noise Cancelling Earphones - Public transport can be a noisy affair but if you have the cash to spare then the QC20s are the best around when it comes to noise cancelling headphones in a small package.
- Google Chromecast - Chromecast is a media streaming device that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV. Simply use a compatible mobile, tablet or PC device and the TV in your accommodation to watch your favourite TV shows, films, music, sport, games and more on the big screen
- Kindle Paperwhite - Highly portable, easy on the eyes, readable in sunlight, waterproof, instant access to the worlds largest bookstore and capable of holding over 1,000 books – the Kindle Paperwhite provides a great combination of features and affordability.
- Mountie - Clip your smartphone or tablet onto your laptop for a portable dual monitor set up. Works well with Duet Display.
- Gerber Shard - Want to take a multi-tool with you but can't get traditional ones past airport security without checked baggage? The Gerber Shard is a great solution to this predicament, packing six useful functions into an airline friendly form-factor.
- Revolut - Low fee travel money card with beautiful companion apps for iOS and Android.
- xCurrency - Beautiful and easy to use currency converter - iOS and Android.
- TransferWise - Easy to use, low fee, money transfer service supported in over 50 countries.
- Toshl Finance - Fantastic finance management app with support for multiple currencies, ideal for people on the move - iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.
- The Elements Of Investing - A timeless, easy-to-read guide on life-long investment principles that can help any investor succeed.
- Quidco - The UKs largest cashback website, check here before booking flights and accommodation to see if you can get cashback on your purchases.
- Neomy - Set-it-and-forget-it exchange rate tracking, straight to your inbox.
- Moneytis - Compare foreign money transfer services to make sure you get the best deal.
- Monzo - Smartphone-friendly UK bank with zero fees abroad.
- Multi-currency budgeting with Google Sheets - use some clever Google Sheets formulas to track predicted income and expenses in any currency.
- Local Bitcoins - Trade Bitcoins for money, in person or remotely.
Security & Backup
- Avast Antivirus - The worlds number one free antivirus solution.
- 1Password - The gold standard of password management apps, you should be using a password manager anyway but it's especially important on the move.
- Cloak - Having a secure VPN service is important when using public wifi networks. Cloak is a great choice in the Apple ecosystem with beautiful apps for Mac and iOS.
- Dropbox - The best all-rounder cross platform cloud storage service.
- Google Drive - The cheapest cloud storage service currently available.
- BackBlaze - Low cost and easy to use cloud backup for Mac and PC.
- SpiderOak One - Dropbox, Google Drive and Backblaze all take your data security very seriously but if you're especially concerned about privacy then check out the Snowden endorsed SpiderOak.
- Authy - The best choice for cross platform two-factor authentication.
- Ghostery - Fantastic extension for blocking trackers in all major web browsers.
- Purify - The most efficient app for blocking ads & trackers on iOS.
- Find My iPhone - If you're in the Apple ecosystem then be sure to enable Find My iPhone on all your devices.
- Facebook Messenger - The best way to keep in touch with friends and family – chat, video, voice calls and group chat for free.
- WhatsApp - Keep in touch with people you don't have on Facebook, it goes without saying that WhatsApp should be in your kit. Available for most platforms.
- Skype - The defacto option for many when it comes to business video calling.
- join.me - The easiest way to organise group conferences with support for scheduling, video, whiteboarding and screen sharing.
- Slack - Slack has quickly become the go-to team communication tool for many businesses. Get your company on board the train if they're not already.
- WiFi Map - Get access to over 100 million free wifi hotspots worldwide - iOS and Android.
- Prepaid Data Sim Card Wiki - Find out information on prepaid sim cards in over 150 countries.
- ChatSim - Unlimited chat using your favourite apps in over 150 countries for a single yearly fee.
- Project Fi - One single low cost plan for all of your phone calls, SMS and mobile data worldwide - U.S Citizens on Android only.
- Google Translate - The big daddy of translation apps with support for over 100 languages and 50 offline languages as well as photo translation - iOS and Android.
- Point It: Traveller's Language Kit - Passport sized traveler's picture dictionary containing photographs of 1,200 items grouped into categories such as food and drink, accommodation, transportation, automobiles, entertainment, nightlife and health.
- Food Allergy Translate - Mobile apps and physical cards to notify restaurants of your food allergies - iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.
- Fluent In 3 Months - If you've always struggled with learning foreign languages then be sure to check out this great book by Benny Lewis.
- Duolingo - The original and arguably most enjoyable language learning app with support for over 20 languages - iOS, Android and Windows Phone.
- Memrise - Not quite as fun as Duolingo but still a solid contender on the language learning scene with support for over 200 languages - iOS and Android.
Food & Drink
- Foursquare - Find the best places to eat, drink, shop, or visit in any city in the world - iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.
- HappyCow - Find great vegetarian and vegan restaurants near you, Foursquare for animal lovers
🐮- iOS and Android.
- Standup Bot - Run your standup meetings remotely via Slack and have your meeting notes automatically organised for you.
- I Done This - More than 160,000 people use I Done This’s easy daily check-ins and powerful progress reports to run more effective and productive teams.
- Timezone.io - Keep track of 'when' and 'where' your remote team members are. Easily organise meetings at a time suitable for everyone involved.
- Dropbox Paper - Collaborate on documents and ideas with your remote colleagues using this flexible workspace.
- Trello - Trello’s boards, lists, and cards enable you to organize and prioritize your projects in a fun, flexible and rewarding way.
- Basecamp - Basecamp organizes your projects, internal communications, and client work in one place so you have a central source of truth.
- Taskade - Create notes, checklists, and outlines with your team. Collaborate and edit together in real-time.
- Noizio - Ambient sound mixer to help you focus in busy places. Parisian Cafe during a thunderstorm? Check! - iOS and Android.
- Duet Display - Use your iPhone or iPad as an extra display for your Mac or PC - iOS, macOS and Windows.
- spacedesk - Extend or duplicate your Windows display to another device (for free)- iOS, Android, Windows and HTML5 Web browser.
- One Way Ticket - A documentary looking at the rise of the digital nomad around the world. Through interviews with advocates, academics and authorities, this film examines issues surrounding the supposed "dream life".
- Hecatee, your anti-jetlag coach - Android app which creates personalized anti-jetlag protocol
- Ubud, Bali
- Medellín, Colombia
- Galápagos Islands, Ecuador
- Valdivia, Chile
- Tarifa, Spain
- Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Hoi An, Vietnam
- Brazil - Itamaraty - Information about visas for Brazilians.
To the extent possible under law, Craig Bovis has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.