MutationExplorer is a lightweight web application for exploring somatic mutations in cancer datasets. It is based on R and the Shiny framework.
MutationExplorer is currently most usable for breast cancer samples, since the relevant biomarkers for patient selection (e.g. clinical status of ER and PgR) are hardcoded.
- Filtering of mutations by type (nonsense, missense, etc) and COSMIC status
- Filtering of the patient sample cohort by histological/genomic biomarker status
- Mutational landscape waterfall plots
- Kaplan-Meier survival analysis based on gene and pathway mutation status, as well as tumor mutation burden (TMB)
- Protein plots similar to cBioPortal oncoprints or lollipop plots
This software was developed as part of a PhD research project in the laboratory of Lao H. Saal, Translational Oncogenomics Unit, Department of Oncology and Pathology, Lund University, Sweden.
A MutationExplorer instance with the data from 3,217 primary breast tumor transcriptomes from the Sweden Cancerome Analysis Network--Breast (SCAN-B) can be accessed at https://oncogenomics.bmc.lu.se/MutationExplorer.
Brueffer et al (2020). The mutational landscape of the SCAN-B real-world primary breast cancer transcriptome. EMBO Molecular Medicine, 12(10):e12118. DOI: 10.15252/emmm.202012118