What is this?
- This is a sample invoicing application used for ASP.NET MVC3 training purposes.
- This is a good code base to learn ASP.NET MVC3, since it covers many areas and development techniques.
- I am using it as a personal invoicing tool for my freelancing activity, you may use it as well for this or any other purpose (it is very easy to customize to fit your needs)
- The solution has been created with Visual Studio 2010 Express, but you can open it with other versions of VS 2010.
- Unit tests have been written with NUnit.
How to best use this code:
- This application is meant to show how to create an ASP.NET MVC application from scratch.
- This application show how to use some of the cool features of ASP.NET MVC3 like:
- Code First
- Entity Framework and LINQ
- Razor view engine
- Partial views and partial actions (with independent OutputCache for high concurrency page rendering)
- Html Helpers
- Data Annotation validation
- AJAX partial rendering
- Custom T4 templates for customized scaffolding
- Every major development on this invoicing app has been tagged (0.1, 0.2, etc...)
- You can download each tag (starting with 0.1), check progress and move to the next when you understood everything that has been done.
- Follow the change log (tag history) and enjoy!
TAGS (change log):
- Support for SQL Server Compact Edition (by default). You can choose to other database provider in web.config.
- New field on invoice: "AdvancePaymentTax"
- New Reports controller for summary and reports (used in home page so far). Yearly summary, quarter summary, etc.
- Better dummy data generation when database is re-created.
- Search field for Providers.
- Date search in Invoices
- Paging on expenses (purchases)
- Extra EditorTemplates and DisplayTemplates views.
- Aggregated data in invoice list for a customer.
- Lots of style and usability improvements. Overall improvements to prepare the application for a 1.0 version.
- Search by date. Auto select Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 dates interval in order to search by date.
- Pie chart using Google Chart calls.
- More coverage in unit testing. Added Moq reference for object mocking.
- Added pagination functionality using https://github.com/martijnboland/MvcPaging library to some entities (pending the other ones)
- Added NUnit testing project as example of how to include it.
- Make "new", "edit" and delete invoice details work in new modal window, using AJAX and the twitter bootstrap css library.
- Layout changes
- Basic print view for invoices, with a custom layout for printing.
- Added error handling by including Elmah from NuGet repository (try it by accessing http://localhost:xxxx/elmah.axd)
- Added a custom functionality to HandleErrorAttribute so it logs to Elmah.
- Added search functionality in Customer list.
- Style and css modifications.
- New screenshots
- Added DueDate field to invoice.
- Some bug fixing.
- Alphabetical and "by name" search in Customer.
- Support for ajax in alphabetical search.
- Added jquery localization file (http://plugins.jquery.com/node/8/release) in order tu support spanish format currency validation
- Added range validation to qty, so you need to enter at least "1"
- Improved the way the invoice and invoicedetail entity play together in the application for better UX
- Making the invoice details views always display with their invoice parent object on the left.
- Added partial views for encapsulation (ex: edit and add)
- Added footer with aggregate data to invoice details lists.
- Added DateTime editor template to be able to edit datetime fields accross de application
- Added jQuery UI calendar functionality to datetime editor fields.
- Set PAID / UNPAID display as text with style instead of checkbox
- Added security so only authenticated users can access the app. To do so:
- Added custom Membership Provider class (InvoicingMemembershipProvider)
- Implement ValidateUser method on (InvoicingMemembershipProvider)
- Change web.config to add InvoicingMemembershipProvider as default provider
- Added [Authorize] attribute to controllers
- Added User entity, added Users table to DBConext and dummy data generation in initializer.
- Fixing css style in Account views.
- Added PartialActions to Invoice and Purchase controllers to return unpaid invoices and recently purchased items.
- Added RenderAction methods to Home.Index, in order to display data from the recently created partial actions.
- Removed unnecessary columns from list views.
- Added System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations reference to validate model.
- Added validation attributes to POCO entities, in order to create basic client and server side validation
- Added DisplayName attribute (System.ComponentModel) to fields in order to rename fields in CRUD operations.
- Added T4 CodeTemplates so we can control the scaffolding generation process. Modifications on those templates so they render Boostrap css style.
- All CRUD view regenerated using the new T4 CodeTemplates
- Added CompanyNumber field to Customer and Provider tables.
- Added Twitter Boostrap CSS library to the project.
- Changed customer create view to apply boostrap styling on it (styles of other CRUD pages haven't been changed at this time, btw, we will do that next by touching the scaffolding generation)
- Starting app.
- Creating model by using POCO entities.
- Use code first for creating database
- Scaffolding basic CRUD operations
Copyright (c) 2011 Iván Loire Mallén
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.