Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
A group for curious, experienced programmers to learn.
What was discussed on September 1:
We want to have a space to discuss and share about advanced computer technology topics. We want a culture where everyone shares and contributes. Examples for the spectrum of topics:
- Type systems
- When to use Python/Go/Ruby/LISP?
- distributed organizations (DAO, Dash)
- CS papers—there are some fantastic papers out there. Sab mentioned Papers We Love group
- consensus/consistency algorithms (CAP theorem, anyone?)
- LISP restarts
- Telegram group for quick sharing & discussions
- Mailing list of anything more elaborate
- At least one monthly meeting.
- We discuss at the beginning of the month.
- Since we'll likely need Internet (for coding) + projector (to look at code, and for talks), we'll start meeting at the individual offices.
- What we might do:
- Code together
- Lightning Talks
- Share new things in tech, for example rootcon :p
- Discuss, review and push for blog posts from team members, to motivate each other and improve
- Collaborate on OSS
- Invite only, to make sure new members understand the purpose of the group and are at a skill level where they can participate.
- Every new member shares something they are passionate about on the first meet-up they attend, for example a presentation or a demo.
As discussed on Jan 11:
Everyone seems to appreciate workshops, like the one done by William about GraphQL. Let's do more of those!
Thoughts on how the workshops can look like.
Let's cut preparation time at the workshop. Everyone can install Android Studio or whatever themselves.
We're not noobs, so let's tackle interesting stuff.
- Monthly meetup with topic introduction
- Everyone prepares, installs stuff
- Hands-on workshop a week later.
Topics volunteered on the 11th:
- Andrea: Event sourcing
- Andrea: markov-chain for MIDI files
- Murat: Intro to Golang
- Murat: AWS Kinesis (Kafka alternative, event system)
- William: React native
- William: GraphQL, phase 2
Let's code together, outside of the meetups. Ideas:
- Open source project, port or help improve one.
- Data analysis, but we need a data scientist on the team
- Proof-of-concept: blockchain, something
- Project Euler problems: Someone shares a problem, everyone solves it ahead of time, and then we discuss the solutions together.
- Robot Arena: everyone programs one robot that runs autonomously and defeats the others.
- 2017-01-11 Kick-off for the year. Madesome plans, gathered some thoughts.
- couple in between
- 2017-Oct-10: First regular meeting. Topics: GraphQL, TDD/tests, low-trust secret sharing using polynomials, cigarette smokers problem. More details here, thanks to Andrea!