Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
- About CFEclipse 1. What is CFEclipse? 2. Where can I get CFEclipse? 3. So its an IDE, how is that different to an editor like HomeSite? 4. So its an IDE, but different to HomeSite - is it like Dreamweaver then? 5. Is it a WYSIWYG editor like Dreamweaver? 6. What does it do that HomeSite doesn't do? 7. How does CFEclipse make me more productive?
- Adobe ColdFusion Builder 1. What is ColdFusion Builder? 2. How is ColdFusion Builder different than CFEclipse? 3. Was the CFEclipse team involved with the development of ColdFusion ...
- How Do I... 1. Install CFEclipse 2. Contribute or Help Out With CFEclipse Development? 3. Preview a page? 4. Turn off the print margin? (vertical line on right side of editor window) 5. Right-click on a .cfm file in Windows Explorer and have it open in ... 6. Is there a pop-up tag editor in CFEclipse that is vaguely like CFS / HS? 7. Turn OFF tag insight 8. Turn ON tag insight 9. Which versions of ColdFusion is tag insight available for? 10. Work with RDS? 11. Work with FTP / without a project ? 12. Use CF Unit or the CF Framework Explorer? 13. View a file in split screen (like in CFStudio)? 14. Enable ColdFusion 8 syntax dictionaries? 15. Enable line numbers? 16. Setup my default browser? 17. Modify or add keyboard shortcuts? 18. Turn on the CFEclipse toolbar (like HomeSite)? 19. Disable the CFML Editor's contributions to the workbench toolbar? 20. Use snippets? 21. Convert my existing Dreamweaver snippets? 22. Convert my existing Homesite snippets? 23. Work with [SnipEx] servers? 24. Uninstall or disable to CFEclipse plugin? 25. Use the !DocShare feature in Eclipse to share editing
- Support 1. Where do I go for support? 2. Known Issues 3. I've found a bug! What now? 4. I still have issues - what next?
What is CFEclipse?
CFEclipse is a plugin to the Eclipse Integrated Development Environment to assist you in writing ColdFusion code (CFML or CFScript).
Where can I get CFEclipse?
So its an IDE, how is that different to an editor like HomeSite?
CFEclipse has a range of features not found in a normal editor.
So its an IDE, but different to HomeSite - is it like Dreamweaver then?
It depends on how you use Dreamweaver. If you use Dreamweaver for HTML features then you will be disappointed in CFEclipse. CFEclipse is for people who spend most of their time writing CFML (or CFScript) code.
Is it a WYSIWYG editor like Dreamweaver?
What does it do that HomeSite doesn't do?
- Features it gets from the Eclipse platform:
- Runs on all 3 major operating systems (Linux, MacOS and Windows).
- Supports revision control systems such as SVN and CVS in a natural and well integrated way.
- Includes Ant which can automate many of your everyday tasks.
- Supports many other third-party plugins
How does CFEclipse make me more productive?
- Wizards for common tasks such as creating a CFC.
- Code Insight
- Code Folding
- Snippets for common coding tasks
- Task List
- Tag Completion
- Syntax Highlighting
- Also see: Other Useful Plugins
Adobe ColdFusion Builder
What is ColdFusion Builder?
ColdFusion Builder (codename Bolt) is the commercial Adobe ColdFusion IDE. More info can be found on the Adobe ColdFusion website.
How is ColdFusion Builder different than CFEclipse?
Please have a look at the features list of ColdFusion Builder for more information about that.
Was the CFEclipse team involved with the development of ColdFusionBuilder?
Adobe has consulted Mark Drew during the early development of ColdFusion Builder.
How Do I...
You 'install' CFEclipse from within the Eclipse IDE. You might consider using the 'WTP all in one' Eclipse version from http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/drops/R2.0/R%C2%AD2.0%C2%AD200706260303/ as it has a few extra bits like CSS and HTML editing and CFEclipse will drop right into it.
Contribute or Help Out With CFEclipse Development?
Check out this page to learn how you can give back to the CFEclipse project. We can always use help!
Preview a page?
CFEclipse supports this by pressing F5(?). Make sure you have your mappings configured correctly first so CFEclipse knows what the URL for the file is.
Turn off the print margin? (vertical line on right side of editor window)
In 1.3.5 this was turned on by default. It is easy to disable.
Editor - Uncheck the "Show print margin" option.
Right-click on a .cfm file in Windows Explorer and have it open in CFEclipse?
Quick answer - you can't. Eclipse (and therefore CFEclipse) was designer around 'projects' and not around single file operations. Mark Drew has a good blog entry explaining this behavior.
However, see the CFEclipseCall which helps to add this functionality.
Is there a pop-up tag editor in CFEclipse that is vaguely like CFS / HS?
Yes, click on a tag then right-click and select Edit This Tag. You'll get a dialogue box with all of the attributes of the tag that you can edit and save.
Turn OFF tag insight
Annoyed by the dialogs that pop up as you add new tags? You can configure the delay by editing the delay insight value. Set it to a high value: 999 (time is in milliseconds).
Turn ON tag insight
- Make sure you insight delay (see above) is set to an appropriate value.
- You may also invoke insight by holding down the CTRL key while hitting the space bar.
- See Troubleshooting tips if tag insight is still not working.
Which versions of ColdFusion is tag insight available for?
There are a number of dictionaries available in CFEclipse, including dictionaries for ColdFusion 9, ColdFusion 8, Railo 3 and BlueDragon 7.0. A complete list of language dictionaries can be found here : CFEclipse Dictionaries
Work with RDS?
Not by itself, but if you install the ColdFusion plugins that ship with Flex Builder (even from the trial version of Flex Builder) then this feature works well with CFEclipse.
- ColdFusion 8 Extensions for Eclipse - This collection of plugins adds the ColdFusion 8 code debugger, code wizards, RDS capabilities and more to Adobe Flex Builder or Eclipse.
Work with FTP / without a project ?
Yes, just open up the File Explorer view and click on the arrow at the top to enter your FTP server details.
CFEclipse also supports SFTP and many other remote file access protocols.
Also see Other Useful Plugins
Use CF Unit or the CF Framework Explorer?
See the section on installing extra plugins
View a file in split screen (like in CFStudio)?
You can view the same file in the top editor and in the bottom editor (this isn't a true 'split view' but is as close as you can get in Eclipse):
- with a file open, right click on its tab and select "new editor"
- take the new tab and drag it all the way to the bottom of your screen Also see Split Screen In Eclipse
Enable ColdFusion 8 syntax dictionaries?
You simply need to download the new dictionary files - more info here
Enable line numbers?
Enabling line numbers is a two part process.
Setup my default browser?
You can set up two different browsers for quickly viewing code
Modify or add keyboard shortcuts?
To learn about existing shortcuts or to define your own - see the keyboard shortcuts page.
Turn on the CFEclipse toolbar (like HomeSite)?
The CFEclipse Toolbar Menu (Toolbar View) provides tools which can be used to quickly and easily accomplish ColdFusion tasks.
Disable the CFML Editor's contributions to the workbench toolbar?
The CFML Editor commands that appear in the workbench toolbar can only be disabled by editing the org.cfeclipse.cfml plug-in manifest file (plugin.xml). You can use Eclipse to edit the manifest file by selecting File->Open File... from the main menu. Navigate into wherever you have Eclipse installed, and then into plugins/org.cfeclipse.cfml_. Open plugin.xml, and then find the extension point org.eclipse.ui.editorActions. Finally, comment out or delete the toolbarPath attribute from each of the sub elements.
Information on how to create and use snippets can be found on the Code Snippets page.
Convert my existing Dreamweaver snippets?
Converting your existing DW snippets is easy - see Converting Dreamweaver Snippets.
Convert my existing Homesite snippets?
Converting your existing Homesite snippets is a two step process - first convert to Dreamweaver - then import into CFEclipse: see Converting Homesite Snippets.
Work with SnipEx servers?
Please see the list on the main SnipEx page
Uninstall or disable to CFEclipse plugin?
- Expand Eclipse SDK > C:\eclipse
- Right click on "CFEclipse (including MXUnit and Frameworks) 1.3.x.x
There should be a choice to 'disable' and 'uninstall'.
Use the DocShare feature in Eclipse to share editing
- See the Eclipse site for an explanation on DocShare
- CFEclipse 1.3.3.x adds support for shared editing
Where do I go for support?
The best place for support is the Mailing Lists
See the Known Issues page for workarounds to common problems.
I've found a bug! What now?
Don't panic! Before emailing the mailing list - grab your towel and visit: Reporting Bugs
I still have issues - what next?
First try starting Eclipse with the clean switch
If you have a 1.4 JRE installed, it might be the default, in which case you can override this by editing
eclipse.iniin your Eclipse install directory. Add a line starting '-vm ' then the path to your Java 1.5 or greater JRE install to the file, as in
-showsplash org.eclipse.platform -vm /opt/jre1.6.0_02-i386/ -vmargs -Xms40m -Xmx256m
Note that the -vm arg must be before the -vmargs (if any). See also Command Line Switches.