For more information or to download plugins, view the documentation.
What is Chai?
Chai is an assertion library, similar to Node's build in
assert. It makes testing much easier by giving you lots of assertions you can run against your code.
chai is available on npm. To install it, type:
$ npm install chai
You can also use it within the browser; install via npm and use the
chai.js file found within the download. For example:
Import the library in your code, and then pick one of the styles you'd like to use - either
var chai = require('chai'); // Using Assert style var assert = chai.assert; // Using Expect style var expect = chai.expect; // Using Should style var should = chai.should();
Chai offers a robust Plugin architecture for extending Chai's assertions and interfaces.
- Need a plugin? View the official plugin list.
- Want to build a plugin? Read the plugin api documentation.
- Have a plugin and want it listed? Simply add the following keywords to your package.json:
browserif your plugin works in the browser as well as Node.js
browser-onlyif your plugin does not work with Node.js
- chaijs / chai-docs: The chaijs.com website source code.
- chaijs / assertion-error: Custom
Errorconstructor thrown upon an assertion failing.
- chaijs / deep-eql: Improved deep equality testing for Node.js and the browser.
- chaijs / type-detect: Improved typeof detection for Node.js and the browser.
- chaijs / check-error: Error comparison and information related utility for Node.js and the browser.
- chaijs / loupe: Inspect utility for Node.js and browsers.
- chaijs / pathval: Object value retrieval given a string path.
- chaijs / get-func-name: Utility for getting a function's name for node and the browser.
Thank you very much for considering to contribute!
Here are a few issues other contributors frequently ran into when opening pull requests:
- Please do not commit changes to the
chai.jsbuild. We do it once per release.
- Before pushing your commits, please make sure you rebase them.
Please see the full Contributors Graph for our list of contributors.
Feel free to reach out to any of the core contributors with your questions or concerns. We will do our best to respond in a timely manner.