Created by Stephen McDonald
Cartridge is a shopping cart application built using the Django framework. It is BSD licensed and designed to provide a clean and simple base for developing e-commerce websites. It purposely does not include every conceivable feature of an e-commerce website; instead, Cartridge focuses on providing core features common to most e-commerce website.
This specific focus stems from the idea that every e-commerce website is different, is tailored to the particular business and products at hand, and should therefore be as easy to customize as possible. Cartridge achieves this goal with a code-base that is as simple as possible and implements only the core features of an e-commerce site.
- Hierarchical categories
- Easily configurable product options (colours, sizes, etc.)
- Hooks for shipping calculations and payment gateways
- Sale pricing
- Promotional discount codes
- PDF invoice generation (for packing slips)
- Stock control
- Product popularity
- Thumbnail generation
- Built-in test suite
- Separation of presentation (no embedded markup)
- Smart categories (by price range, colour, etc)
- Registered or anonymous checkout
- Configurable number of checkout steps
- Denormalised data for accessiblilty and performance
Cartridge is designed as a plugin for the Mezzanine content management platform and, as such, requires Mezzanine to be installed. The integration of the two applications should occur automatically by following the installation instructions below.
$ pip install -U cartridge
$ easy_install -U cartridge
Otherwise, you can download Cartridge and install it directly from source:
$ python setup.py install
Once installed, the command
mezzanine-project should be available via
Mezzanine, which can be used for creating a new Cartridge project in a
similar fashion to
$ mezzanine-project -a cartridge project_name
You can then run your project with the usual Django steps:
$ cd project_name $ python manage.py createdb --noinput $ python manage.py runserver
createdb command performs the same task as Django's
and also sets the initial migration state for South. If you'd like to
specify a username and password during set up, simply exclude the
--noinput option included above when running
You should then be able to browse to http://127.0.0.1:8000/admin/ and log
in using the default account (
username: admin, password: default) or the
credentials specified during
Cartridge is an open source project managed using both Git and Mercurial version control systems. These repositories are hosted on both Github and Bitbucket, so contributing is as easy as forking the project on either of these sites and committing back your enhancements.
Please note the following points around contributing:
- Contributed code must be written in the existing style. This is as simple as following the Django coding style and, most importantly, PEP 8.
- Run the tests before committing your changes. If your changes cause the tests to break, they won't be accepted.
- If you add new functionality, you must include basic tests and documentation.
If you would like to make a donation to continue development of the project, you can do so via the Mezzanine website.