Code of Conduct for Project
Question: How does the Code of Conduct for the project support diversity and inclusion?
A code of conduct signals to project members what behavior is acceptable. A code of conduct also provides enforcement mechanisms to deal with people who misbehave.
A code of conduct in a project provides the following:
- Knowing that a community takes diversity and inclusion seriously.
- Evaluating a community for diverse and inclusive design, before investing any time in that project.
- Identifying whether or not their demographic is protected prior to participating in a project.
- Ensuring that project partnerships, and allies take diversity and inclusion seriously as it can impact their own reputation and community health.
- Understanding how a violation is reported and handled.
- Observing that the code of conduct is being enforced; and not just the potential for enforcement.
Tools Providing the Metric
Data Collection Strategies
- Identify the location of the code of conduct as it pertains to primary areas of interaction and participation in projects and events (i.e., repo root, event entrance, communication channels).
- Survey project members about their perception of how a code of conduct influences their participation and sense of safety.
- Follow-up survey for reporting, around discoverability, clarity, and relevance.
- Code of Conduct passes Mozilla’s Code of Conduct Assessment Tool
- Interview and/or survey community members to understand more about why the code of conduct does or does not meet their expectations.
- What can the project do to improve the code of conduct?
- What are some examples of how this community met or exceeded your code of conduct expectations?
- Browse the project website. If code of conduct is posted and there is a clear avenue for reporting violations, this criteria is fulfilled. (Note: ideally, the code of conduct would be discoverable)
- Survey participants about the code of conduct:
- Likert scale [1-x] item: How well did the project meet your code of conduct expectations?
- Likert scale [1-x] item: How clear are you on the rights and responsibilites of community members as described in the code of conduct?
- Were you made aware of the code of conduct and how to report violations? [i]
- Did the existence of the code of conduct make you feel safer, and more empowered to fully participate in this project? [i]
- If you reported a violation of the code of conduct, was it resolved to your satisfaction? [i]
[i] Some sample questions re-used from the Mozilla project.