Color Coded - Istio + Helm + Codefresh Demo App
What's in the app?
A simple go app that displays a color and dies when you navigate to /die. The whole thing is packaged as a Helm chart and includes a Codefresh pipeline, and Istio configuration.
You can watch a full demo here.
Installation and usage
Some effort will be requried to streamline the setup for testing but it's possible now. These instructions may be incomplete.
- Create a free Codefresh account
- Fork and add this repo to Codefresh and start with a Codefresh YAML '.codefresh/helm-canary.yml'
- Set the environmental variables
- Add a Kubernetes cluster to your Codefresh account.
- Install Istio and Helm
- Update DNS with your Istio gateway IP address.
- Update and deploy the istio gateway configuration under istio/canary
- Update the base canary configuration under istio/canary.yml with your app info.
- Install the Helm package once manually (pull this repo, run a helm install)
helm install --name colors ./deploy/helm/colors/ --namespace=color-coded --set deployment.image.pullSecret="codefresh-generated-r.cfcr.io-cfcr-color-coded"
- Review the Codefresh yml and update any remaining variables (like Kubernetes context)
Improve the setup experience
A lot of work could be done to streamline this setup flow. Contributors welcome!