Skyways is a prototype in which you have to direct ships in space that are ejected from the stations to their corresponding station, marked by their colors. The player’s tool is their finger, which creates a gravity field that attract ships to the center of the finger. There are planets in the middle of the screen that also have their own gravity field, and in which ships can fall into.
Ships that go outside the screen or crash between are lost. Each launch costs money, and when there is no more money to launch ships nor ships available, the game is over.
You will find a gameplay video in Youtube at http://youtu.be/jRENBJKHOuA
This was an assignment for the subject Tools & Middleware at the MSc Computer Games & Entertainment course at Goldsmiths, London, UK.
The following text describes how to compile cocos2d-x, and this game, under the platform of your choice.
How to build for WinRT (Windows 8.0)
Do not download the zip version of the cocos2d-x repo. You need to clone the repo using git.
Use the master branch
git checkout master
You will need to checkout the git submodules before building the winrt project
git submodule init
git submodule update
Use the cocos2d-winrt.vc2012.sln solution to build the WinRT cocos2d-x and sample projects
Use the cocos2d-wp8.vc2012.sln solution to build the Windows Phone 8.0 cocos2d-x and sample projects Support for Windows Phone 8 device rotation will be available soon.
Open the cocos2d-winrt.vc2012.sln solution in Visual Studio 2013 and update all of the projects to build the WinRT cocos2d-x and sample projects for Windows 8.1.
cocos2d-x is a multi-platform 2D game framework in C++, branched on cocos2d-iphone and licensed under MIT. The master branch on github uses OpenGL ES 2.0 rendering, while the old gles11 branch uses OpenGL ES 1.1 rendering. Currently we focus on gles20 development.
- iOS: stable, well tested on iOS 5.x ~ 6.x SDK.
- Android: stable, well tested on 2.0~4.x, ndk r5 ~ r8. If you use gles20 branch or cocos2d-x v2.0 above, only android 2.3 and higher are supported
- Windows Phone 8 and Windows Store Apps (WinRT)
- Bada: cocos2d-x v1.x supports Bada SDK 1.0 & 2.0. Bada support was deprecated since cocos2d-x v2.0.
- BlackBerry: stable, contributed by staffs in RIM, supports Playbook & BB10.
- Marmalade: stable since cocos2d-x v0.11.0, contributed by Marmalade's staff.
- Native Client (NaCl): contributed by the Native Client authors.
- Windows: stable, well tested on WinXP/Vista/Win7. Please upgrde the drive of your video card if you meet problems on OpenGL functions
- Linux: support but not very stable.
- Emscripten: Alpha-level. Most features implemented. Needs testing. Contributed by Zynga staff.
- Tizen: Experimental. Essential features implemented. Needs more implementing. Contributed by Lee, Jae-Hong.
You can visit our continuous integration system http://ci.cocos2d-x.org to check the stability on edge version.
Supported Programming Languages
- C++ is the major programming language of cocos2d-x. Tons of top-chart cocos2d-x games were written in C++.
- Lua binding is also widely used. Glu mobile, Zynga, UCWEB, 4399, Renren Games are using lua on cocos2d-x.