HTTPS clone URL
Subversion checkout URL
- Hosting Chocolatey Packages on MyGet
- How To Deprecate A Chocolatey Package
- How To Mount An Iso In Chocolatey Package
- How To Parse PackageParameters Argument
- Migrate Old Chocolatey Directory to ProgramData
- Proxy Settings for Chocolatey
This wiki is for versions LESS THAN 0.9.9.x. If you are on a newer version, please see https://github.com/chocolatey/choco/wiki instead
How to use Chocolatey
- Complete Reference
- Install Missing
Clone this wiki locally
DEPRECATED FOR 0.9.9+ - use https://github.com/chocolatey/choco/wiki instead
Notice: Some command shortcuts have been deprecated as of 0.9.8.21 (This is JUST the SHORTCUT, not the command itself) - Several shortcut files that were created have been deprecated for the ubiquitous
choco command and will not be created in newer installs. If you are upgrading an existing install, those will continue to work at the current time. These shortcuts are
0.9.8.33 (Feb 11, 2015)
- Dynamically export helpers (this fixes helpers that were not visible before) - #628
-yas a parameter, Add warning about -y for 0.9.9.
- Company name misspelled in shims - #673 and shimgen #9
0.9.8.32 (January 22, 2015)
- Fix - Chocolatey-Install should return non-zero exit code if chocolateyInstall.ps1 fails - #568 & #658
0.9.8.31 (January 7, 2015)
- Fix - Shim doesn't always shift off the first argument - #655 & ShimGen #7
- Fix - If executable isn't available, fallback to default icon - #579
0.9.8.30 (January 6, 2015)
0.9.8.29 (January 2, 2015)
- Use icon of the executable with generated shim - #579 & ShimGen #2
- Allow setting custom temp download location - #307
- Don't assume $env:TEMP or $env:UserProfile are set - #647
- Remove Kickstarter message.
0.9.8.28 (November 4, 2014)
- You may need to update your saved API key for chocolatey, due to #599 we have switched push to ensure https.
- Fix - Shim argument parsing needs fixed for quoting - ShimGen #1
- Fix - Forcing x86 does not use 32bit checksum - #535
- Fix - Powershell v2 fails to download SSLv3 files - #531
- Fix - Get-ChocolateyUnzip fails due to Wait-Process exception - #571
- Use default credentials for internet if available - #577
- Add moderation message on push - #600
- Restrict all calls to chocolatey.org to HTTPS - #599
- Batch fallback should quote path for spaces - #558
0.9.8.27 (July 13, 2014)
- Fix - Posh v3+ Ignores -Wait when run from cmd.exe - #516
0.9.8.26 (July 12, 2014)
Pulled due to major breakage with #516
- Fix - Allow spaces in arguments to chocolatey again - Regenerate chocolatey included shims to take advantage of shimgen fixes - #507
- Fix - Default path has changed, causing running without closing shell to have issues again - #510
- Fix - Working directory of shimgen generated files points to path target executable is in (GUI apps only) - #508
- Fix - cpack/cpush returns zero exit code even when error occurs - #256 & #384
- Fix - Install error throws another error due to true instead of $true - #514
- Fix - Posh v3+ Ignores -Wait when run from cmd.exe - #516
- Allow to pass shimgen specific parameters - #509
- Issue warning if user is not running an elevated shell - #519
0.9.8.25 (July 7, 2014)
- Fix - Shims that require admin may fail on UAC enforced machines (System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The requested operation requires elevation) - #505
- Fix - Do not check content-length if there isn't a content-length returned from Get-WebHeaders - #504
0.9.8.24 (July 3, 2014)
- Enhancement - Default install to C:\ProgramData\chocolatey - #452 & #494
- Don't allow $binroot to be set to c:\ - #434 - this is meant to be temporary while other pieces are fixed.
- Checksum downloaded files - #427
- Replace Batch Redirector with Shims - #372
- New Helper - Get-UACEnabled - #451
- Enhancement - Install to Machine environment variable - #453
- Enhancement - Install the .NET framework 4.0 requirement - #255
- Update environment using command (RefreshEnv) - #134
-quietparameter that silences almost all output / allow shutting off real write-host - #416 & #411
- New Helpers - Test-ProcessAdminRights, Get-EnvironmentVariableNames, Get-EnvironmentVariable, Set-EnvironmentVariable - #486
- Fix - Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Path' because it is an empty string - #371
- Fix - clist -source webpi doesn't prompt for admin access - #293
- Fix - Get-ChocolateyUnzip silently fails due to incorrect usage of System32 (File System Redirector Issues) - #476 & #455
- Fix - 7za.exe is subject to UAC file virtualization - #454
- Fix - "You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression" introduced somewhere. - #430
- Fix - Get-BinRoot defaulted to "C:\" instead of "C:\tools" - #421
- Fix - Get-ProcessorBits doesn't return the bitness of the OperatingSystem - #396
- Fix - Fix Invoke for Install All from a Feed (DEPRECATED by #446 - in improvements below) - #381
- Fix - Upgrade to 0.9.8.24 produces cannot find Update-SessionEnvironment when using cmd.exe - #459
- Fix - Package depending on newer chocolatey version is installed using existing version of chocolatey - #460
- Fix - Bash improvements - #383
- Fix - Resolve issue with DISM "missing" or with the 32-bit DISM being called on a 64-bit system - #393
- Fix - Do NOT throw if missing a chocolateyuninstall.ps1 - #499
- Do not download if file already cached - #428 & #109
- If *.ignore file failes to create, do not fail the process - #380
- Validate downloaded file is the right size - #429
- Add perf to Chocolatey-List & allow to return as object - #426
- Chocolatey-List LocalOnly performance improvements - #425
- Chocolatey-Version Improvements - #445
- Remove Invoke-Chocolatey Function to improve handling - #446
- Don't create a window during Run-Nuget.ps1 - #450
- Generate _env.cmd file instead of bat file for consistency - #469
- Remove-BinFile removes shim.exes when installing a package - #449
- Remove annoying "Reading environment variables from registry. Please wait..." - #440
- Replace ascii cue to visual cue for "installing package" - #376
- Clean up the verbosity of chocolatey - #374
- Improve chocolatey setup as administrator - #486
- Simplify Chocolatey-Update - #493
- Update to Nuget.exe 2.8.2 - #379
0.9.8.23 (November 11, 2013)
- Fix - Chocolatey 0.9.8.22 incorrectly reports version as alpha1 #368
- Fix - Some chocolatey commands with no arguments error #369
0.9.8.22 (November 10, 2013)
- To use spaces and quotes, one should now use single quotation marks. It works best in both powershell and cmd.
- Enhancement - Add switch to force x86 when packages have both versions - #365
- Enhancement - Allow passing parameters to packages - #159
- Fix - Chocolatey 0.9.8.21 errors when using spaces or quotes with chocolatey or with batch redirect files #367
0.9.8.21 (November 7, 2013)
- Enhancement - For local package searching, use choco list -lo or choco search -lo. The execution speed is greatly increased. cver for local has been deprecated. - #276
- Breaking - Chocolatey default sources no longer includes Nuget official feed. This will help improve response time and greatly increase relevant results. - #349
- Enhancement - Support for Server Core - #59
- Enhancement - Add a switch for ignoring dependencies on install
- Command -
chocois now a default term
- Command - search is now a command (aliases list)
choco search something [-localonly]
- Function -
Get-ProcessorBits- tells you whether a processor is x86 or x64. This functionality was in chocolatey already but has been globalized for easy access. - #231 & #229
- Function -
Get-BinRoot- Gives package maintainers the ability to call one command that gets them the tools/bin root. This gives you the location where folks want certain packages installed. - #359
- Enhancement - Install multiple packages by specifying them all on the same line - #191
- Enhancement - Install .NET Framework 4.0 requirement if not already installed - #255
- Enhancement - Refresh command line PATH after installs - partial to #134 - Previously we were just doing it in chocolatey with #158
- Enhancement - Allow chocolatey to install when zip shell extensions are disabled - #297
- Enhancement - Support for bash and similar shells - #347 & #258
- Enhancement - Allow file uri to be used when downloading files - #322
- Enhancement - Chocolatey version all versions returned for specific local package. - #260
- Enhancement - Exit codes return appropriately - #210
- Enhancement - Better logging support - #208
- Fix - Treat installation failures appropriately - #10
- Fix - Using newer versions of nuget breaks chocolatey - #303
- Fix - Chocolatey incorrectly reports 64 bit urls when downloading anything - #331
- Fix - Executing
cuninstwithout parameters shouldn't do anything - #267 & #265
- Fix - VSIX installer helper is finding the wrong Visual Studio version - #262
- Fix - Renaming logs appending
.oldresults in error - #225
- Fix - Minor typo in uninstall script "uninINstalling" - #247
- Fix - Bug in Get-ChocolateyUnzip throws issues sometimes #244 & #242
- Fix - Minor typo "succesfully" - #241
0.9.8.20 (December 11, 2012)
- Command - Win Feature feed - #150
- Function - Add function to install environment variables - #149
- Function - Function to associate file extensions with installed executables - #146
- Function - Helper function to create explorer context menu items - #144
- Function - Helper function for pinning items to task bar - #143 & #141
- Command - Sources command - #138
- Command - Provide a way to list all the installed packages - #125
- Enhancement - Added FTP support for the chocolatey file downloader. - #137
- Enhancement - Block installer exe from being "bin"-ed - #174
- Enhancement - Making the unzip process silent - #180
- Enhancement - Makes install args more explicit - #179
- Enhancement - Update Write-Progress every 5000 iterations instead of every iteration - #177
- Enhancement - Codeplex Support - #176
- Enhancement - Fix downloads greater than 2GB - #173
- Enhancement - Add -verbose switch for clist support to see package description - #166
- Enhancement - Refresh env vars after Install - #158 & #153
- Enhancement - Add EditorConfig file denoting coding style. - #123
- Enhancement - Chocolatey-Version Remote Check - #119
- Enhancement - Write every unzip path/file to a text file - #114
- Fix - "Execution of NuGet not detected" error. - #151
- Fix - chocolatey.bat can't find chocolatey.cmd - #152
- Fix -
chocolatey version allprints only the last package's information - #183
- Fix - Issue with $processor.addresswidth var - #121
0.9.8.19 (July 2, 2012)
- Enhancement - Allow community extensions - #115
- Fix - PowerShell v3 doesn't like foreach loop (prefers ForEach-Object) - #116
- Fix - Cannot install Python packages on Windows 8 - #117
0.9.8.18 (June 16, 2012)
- Fix - 0.9.8.17 installer doesn't create chocolatey folder if it doesn't exist - #112
0.9.8.17 (June 15, 2012)
- Enhancement - Support for naive uninstall - #96
- Enhancement - Sources specified through config (or nuget.config) - #101
- Enhancement - Chocolatey should support multiple sources - #82
- Enhancement - Use Cygwin as a package source - #93
- Enhancement - Use Python as a package source (uses easy_install) - #100
- Enhancement - Use Default Credentials before Get-Credentials when using proxy on web call - #83
- Enhancement - Reduce the verbosity of running chocolatey - #84
- Enhancement - Support opening links to "GUI" type applications in a different way than the console apps - #76
- Enhancement - Do not create batch redirects for certain executables in package folder - #106
- Enhancement - Add a -debug switch - #85
- Enhancement - Improve pipelining of cver by returning an object - #94
- Fix - Packages.config source now uses chocolatey/nuget sources by default instead of empty - #79
- Fix - Executable batch links not created for "prerelease" versions - #88
- Fix - Issue where latest version is not returned - #92
- Fix - Prerelease versions now broken out as separate versions - #90
- Fix - During install PowerShell session gets bad $env:ChocolateyInstall variable - #80
- Fix - Build path with spaces now works - #102
- Small fix to installer for upgrade issues from 0.9.8.15
0.9.8.15 (February 27, 2012)
- Enhancement - Chocolatey's default folder is now C:\Chocolatey (and no longer C:\NuGet) - #58
- Enhancement - Use -force to reinstall existing packages - #45
- Enhancement - Install now supports all with a custom package source to install every package from a source! - #46
- Enhancement - Support Prerelease flag for Install - #71
- Enhancement - Support Prerelease flag for Update/Version - #72
- Enhancement - Support Prerelease flag in List - #74
- Fix - Parsing the wrong version when trying to update - #73
0.9.8.14 (February 6, 2012)
- Enhancement - Pass ValidExitCodes to Install Helpers - #54
- Enhancement - Add 64-bit url to Install-ChocolateyZipPackage - #48
- Enhancement - Add 64-bit url to Install-ChocolateyPowershellCommand - #57
- Enhancement - Make the main helpers work with files not coming over HTTP - #51
- Enhancement - Upgrade NuGet.exe to 1.6.0 to take advantage of prerelease packaging - #64
- Fix - The packages.config feature has broken naming packages with '.config' - #56
- Fix - CList includes all versions without adding the switch - #60
- Fix - When NuGet.exe failes to run due to .NET Framework 4.0 not installed, chocolatey should report that. - #65
0.9.8.13 (January 8, 2012)
- New Command! Enhancement - Integration with Ruby Gems (
cinst packageName -source ruby) - #29
- New Command! Enhancement - Integration with Web PI (
cinst packageName -source webpi) - #28
- Enhancement - Call chocolatey install with packages.config file (thanks AnthonyMastrean!) - #31 and #43 and #50
- New Command! Enhancement - Chocolatey Push (
chocolatey push packageName.nupkgor
cpush packageName.nupkg) - #36
- New Command! Enhancement - Chocolatey Pack (
chocolatey pack [packageName.nuspec]or
cpack [packageName.nuspec]) - #35
- Enhancement - @datachomp feature - Override Installer Arguments
chocolatey install packageName -installArgs "args to override" -overrideor
cinst packageName -ia "args to override" -o) - #40
- Enhancement - @datachomp feature - Append Installer Arguments (
chocolatey install packageName -installArgs "args to append"or
cinst packageName -ia "args to append") - #39
- Enhancement - Run installer in not silent mode (
chocolatey install packageName -notSilentor
cinst packageName -notSilent) - #42
- Enhancement - List available Web PI packages (
clist -source webpi) - #37
- Enhancement - List command should allow the All or AllVersions switch - #38
- Enhancement - Any install will create the ChocolateyInstall environment variable so that installers can take advantage of it - #30
- Fixing an issue on proxy display message (Thanks jasonmueller!) - #44
- Fixing the source path to allow for spaces (where chocolatey is installed) - #33
- Fixing the culture to InvariantCulture to eliminate the turkish "I" issue - #22
- Enhancement - Reducing the number of window pop ups - #25
- Fixed an issue with write-host and write-error overrides that happens in the next version of powershell - #24
- Fixing an issue that happens when powershell is not on the path - #23
- Fixing the replacement of capital ".EXE" in addition to lowercase ".exe" when creating batch redirects - #26
- Fixing an update issue if the package only exists on chocolatey.org - #16
- Fixing an issue with install missing if the package never existed - #13
- New Helper! Install-ChocolateyPowershellCommand - install a powershell script as a command - #11
- Reinstalls an existing package if -version is passed (first surfaced in 0.9.8.7 w/NuGet 1.5) - #9
- Fixing version comparison - #4
- Fixed package selector to not select like named packages (i.e. ruby.devkit when getting information about ruby) - #3
- Fixed a bug introduced in 0.9.8.5 - Start-ChocolateyProcessAsAdmin erroring out when setting machine path as a result of trying to log the message.
- Improving Run-ChocolateyProcessAsAdmin to allow for running entire functions as administrator by importing helpers to that command if using PowerShell.
- Updating some of the notes.
- Fixed bug in installer when User Environment Path is null.
- Fixed a small issue with the Install-ChocolateyDesktopLink
- Chocolatey no longer runs the entire powershell script as an administrator. With the addition of the Start-ChocolateyProcessAsAdmin, this is how you will get to administrative tasks outside of the helpers.
- New chocolatey command! InstallMissing allows you to install a package only if it is not already installed. Shortcut is 'cinstm'.
- New Helper! Install-ChocolateyPath - give it a path for out of band items that are not imported to path with chocolatey
- New Helper! Start-ChocolateyProcessAsAdmin - this allows you to run processes as administrator
- New Helper! Install-ChocolateyDesktopLink - put shortcuts on the desktop
- NuGet updated to v1.4
- Much of the error handling is improved. There are two new Helpers to call (ChocolateySuccess and Write-ChocolateyFailure).
- Chocolatey no longer needs administrative rights to install itself.
- You now have the option of a custom installation folder. Thanks Jason Jarrett!
- General fix to bad character in file. Fixed selection for update as well.
- A dependency will not reinstall once it has been installed. To have it reinstall, you can install it directly (or delete it from the repository and run the core package).
- Shortcuts have been added: 'cup' for 'chocolatey update', 'cver' for 'chocolatey version', and 'clist' for 'chocolatey list'.
- Update only runs if newer version detected.
- Calling update with no arguments will update chocolatey.
- Calling update with all will update your entire chocolatey repository.
- Fixing Install-ChocolateyZipPackage so that it works again.
- Fixing an underlying issue with not having silent arguments for exe files.
- Fixing an introduced bug where the downloader didn't get the file name passed to it.
- New helper added Install-ChocolateyInstallPackage - this was previously part of the download & install and has been broken out.
- New chocolatey command! Version allows you to see if a package you have installed is the most up to date. Leave out package and it will check for chocolatey itself.
- The powershell module is automatically loaded, so packages no longer need to import the module. This means one line chocolateyInstall.ps1 files!
- Error handling is improved.
- Silent installer override for msi has been removed to allow for additional arguments that need to be passed.
- Remove powershell execution timeout.
- New Helper added Install-ChocolateyZipPackage - this wraps the two upper commands into one smaller command and addresses the file name bug.
- Addressed a small bug in getting back the file name from the helper.
- Adding in ability to find a dependency when the version doesn't exist.
- Can execute powershell and chocolatey without having to change execution rights to powershell system wide.
- New Helper added - Get-ChocolateyWebFile - downloads a file from a url and gives you back the location of the file once complete.
- New Helper added - Get-ChocolateyZipContents - unzips a file to a directory of your choosing.
- Helper for native installer added (Install-ChocolateyPackage). Reduces the amount of powershell necessary to download and install a native package to two lines from over 25.
- Helper outputs progress during download.
- Dependency runner is complete.
- List command has a filter.
- Package license acceptance terms notated.
- You can now pass -source and -version to install command.
- List command added.
- Shortcut for 'chocolatey install' - 'cinst' now available.