Multi-wavelength Universe Activity
The aim of this activity is to match images of an astronomical object, observed in different wavelengths, with the object's visible image. Try lots of objects and see how well you do! For a clearer view, try it in fullscreen mode. There are also downloadable resources which accompany this activity.
The main part is an activity where students match up images objects at different wavelengths. A powerpoint presentation is included. The activity is suited to GCSE and A-level, but can be used at "science clubs" with students of those and younger ages.
- Activity Outline/Teacher's Pack: MS Word PDF
- Multiwavelength Universe Presentation: Powerpoint PDF
- Multiwavelength Universe Question Sheet MS Word PDF
- Multiwavelength Images Powerpoint PDF
- Movie: Herschel & Planck launch (May 2009) Windows Media Player
- Suggested poster template Powerpoint
- Full package (40MB) ZIP
Note that the Chrome browser has extra security when running locally. This stops the activity getting the configuration file. You will need to start Chrome with the option "--allow-file-access-from-files". On a Mac you can open a terminal and run:
open /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app --args --allow-file-access-from-files