node.io can streamline the process of:
- Parsing, filtering or sanitizing large amounts of data
- Scraping data from the web using familiar CSS selectors and traversal methods
- Map Reduce
- Transferring data, e.g. CSV => a database
- Distributing work across multiple processes, and multiple servers (soon)
- Working with continuous data & streams
- Create modular and extendable jobs for scraping and processing data
- Seamlessly speed up execution by distributing work among child processes and other servers (soon)
- Easily handle a variety of input output situations - node.io does the heavy lifting
- Reading / writing lines to and from files
- Reading / writing rows to and from a database
- Traversing files in a directory
- STDIN / STDOUT / custom streams
- Piping data to other processes or node.io jobs
- Continuous IO
- Any combination of the above, or write your own IO methods
- Includes a robust framework for scraping, selecting and traversing data from the web + support for a variety of proxies
- Includes a data validation and sanitization framework
- Provides support for retries, timeouts, dynamically adding input, etc.
To install node.io, use npm:
$ npm install node.io
To run tests
$ make test
For usage details
$ node.io --help
Better documentation will be available once I have time to write it.
Note: node.io is an ALPHA release. There will no doubt be some bugs and oddities.
- Fix up the http://node.io/ site
- Nested requests inherit referrer / cookies / user-agent if to the same domain
- Add more DOM selector / traversal methods
- Test various proxies and write the proxy documentation
- Add distributed processing
- Installation without NPM (install.sh)
- More tests / better coverage
- Speed improvements
history.md lists recent changes.
If you find a bug, please report the issue here.
If you want to contribute, please fork/pull.
node.io wouldn't be possible without
Copyright (c) 2010 Chris O'Hara email@example.com
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.