node.io can streamline the process of:
- Parsing / filtering / sanitizing large amounts of data
- Scraping data from the web using familiar CSS selectors and traversal methods
- Scraping web data through a proxy
- Transforming data from one format to another, e.g. from CSV => a database
- Recursively load all files in a directory and its subdirs and execute a command on each
- + much more..
- Create modular and extensible jobs for scraping and processing data
- Seamlessly speed up execution by distributing work among child processes and other servers (soon)
- Easily handle a variety of input / output situations
- Reading / writing lines to and from files
- Traversing files in a directory
- Reading / writing rows to and from a database
- STDIN / STDOUT / Custom streams
- Piping between other node.io jobs
- Any combination of the above, or your own IO
- Includes a robust framework for scraping and selecting web data
- Support for a variety of proxies when scraping web data
- Includes a data validation and sanitization framework
- Provides support for retries, timeouts, dynamically adding input, etc.
To install node.io, use npm:
$ npm install node.io
For usage details, run
$ node.io --help
Better documentation will be available once I have time to write it.
- Fix up the http://node.io/ site
- Automatically handle HTTP codes, e.g. redirect on 3xx or call fail() on 4xx/5xx
- Nested requests inherit referrer / cookies if to the same domain
- Add more DOM selector / traversal methods
- Test proxy callbacks and write proxy documentation
- Add distributed processing
- Installation without NPM (install.sh)
- More tests / better test coverage
node.io wouldn't be possible without
Copyright (c) 2010 Chris O'Hara firstname.lastname@example.org
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.