props to / based upon
Head over there for various focused dev environments and some tips in the README.md for making clipboard work in case it doesn't out of the box.
It was tested and works reasonably well for JS development remote via OSX/iterm2/ssh and also when host and client are on the same machine without ssh. The go-part is not tested, the python-part not begun, the build structure is messy.
build & usage prerequisites
- You need a docker host on Linux basis (only tested on Ubuntu 18.04 so far with upstream docker, not the dist package)
- For the client-side, on OSX I recommend iterm2 so that OSC 52 clipboard-"sharing" may work
how to build
- git clone this repo
- Modify the bin/start_container.sh to include the files and folders in the mounting that you need.
sudo apt-get install build-essentialin case you don't have it yet
- make coffee
- add the lines in
.bashrc_host.distto the .bashrc or .bash_aliases on the docker-host for convenient starting and attaching to your dev-terminal. Change the paths so they point to the repo and reload the .bashrc via
- start and attach via
envstart && envattach
- log in via ssh to your remote host
- attach via
envstart) to the running container.
- work on your workspaces/whatever you do.
- Use the
gccommand for a nice two-windows commit mode
- When your work is done, leave the container via docker ctrl-p ctrl-q
- come back any time with
- If you want to reboot your host from time to time or restart the container, consider saving the nvim session in a folder that is mounted.
known issues & notes
- the username within the environment will be the same as the onethat you build the container with.