Slack channel: #project-voter_engage
A social tool for encouraging eligible citizens in the Grand Rapids area to vote in local elections.
The project is split into a backend API and a web frontend.
Maintainers (people with write access):
- Jace Browning
- Sam Bleckley
Skills you may learn or already posses relevant to this project:
- API design
- We welcome contributions from first timers
- Join the slack channel and tell us about what you can do, and what you'd like to learn to do, and we'll find a first task that's right for you.
- Core maintainers and project guides are responsible for reviewing and merging all pull requests. In order to prevent frustrations with your first PR we recommend you reach out to our core maintainers who can help you through your first PR.
- Need to practice working with github in a group setting? Checkout github-playground
- Updates to documentation or README are greatly appreciated and make for a great first PR. They do not need to be discussed in advance and will be merged as soon as possible.
To run the application locally, you will need the following:
- Python, pipenv
- Node, Yarn
To confirm these system dependencies are configured correctly:
$ make doctor
To install backend/frontent project dependencies:
$ make install
Create a development database and seed it with data:
$ createdb voterengagement_dev $ make data # OR $ make reset
To run the backend/frontend development server:
$ make run
MANDRILL_API_KEY is set, sent emails will appear in your terminal.