An Open Sourced Guide to Creating a Nonprofit in Michigan
Project Description: This project will outline the steps to become a recognized 501c3 nonprofit based in the state of Michigan. Becoming a 501c3 is an IRS designation (federal government), prior to that you must organize in the state in which you are located which may have different rules then Michigan.
- Allen Clark
Skills you may learn or already posses relevant to this project.
- Policy & Engagement
- Product Management
If you’re looking to start a Michigan nonprofit organization, you’re in the right place. This guide will help you file formation documents, obtain tax identification numbers, and register for fundraising.
- State of Michigan Form CSCL/CD-502: Articles of Incorporation for use by Domestic Nonprofit Corporations or Form CSCL/CD-503: Articles of Incorporation for use by Ecclesiastical Corporations
- IRS Form SS-4: Apply for EIN
- IRS Form 1023: Application for 501(c)(3) Exemption
- IRS Determination Letter
- Form 518: Registration for Business Taxes
- Form 3372: Michigan Sales and Use Tax Certificate of Exemption
- URS Charitable Registration, if applicable
- Michigan Initial Solicitation Registration Form
- State of Michigan Incorporation: $20 + optional $50-1,000 expedite service
- 501(c): $275 - $850 IRS fee
- State of Michigan Incorporation: ~5-7 business days with returned documents in ~4 weeks. ~24 hours for $50. Same day for $100. 2 hours for $500. 1 hour for $1,000.
- 501(c): ~3-6 months
- Organization Records - Citizen Labs examples:
- General Resources
- Resources for creating your bylaws
- Resources for creating a budget
Document Examples from Citizen Labs