Data enthusiasts, developers, designers, analysts, data scientists, and data engineers tackled health and safety challenges for the City of Austin. Hack Austin, a civic and data driven hackathon is part of the City Council’s strategic planning outcomes on December 8-10th 2018.
The City of Austin strives to create a complete community where every Austinite has choices at every stage of life that allows the City to experience and contribute to all of the following strategic outcomes:
Economic Opportunity and Affordability: Having economic opportunities and resources that enable us to thrive in our community.
Mobility: Getting us where we want to go, when we want to get there, safely and cost-effectively.
Safety: Being safe in our home, at work, and in our community.
Health and Environment: Enjoying a sustainable environment and a healthy life, physically and mentally.
Cultural and Lifelong Learning: Being enriched by Austin’s unique civic, cultural, ethnic, and learning opportunities.
Government that works for all of us: Believing that city government works effectively and collaboratively for all of us that it is equitable, ethical and innovative.
Hack Austin is made possible through a collaboration among the City of Austin’s Communications and Technology Management Department, the Office of Performance Management, and the Telecommunications and Regulatory Affairs Department. Led by the City of Austin, in partnership with Galvanize, US Ignite and Open Austin, the hackathon is focused on applications that provide transformative public benefit.
🚶 🏃 🏥
- How to optimize physical health within the City of Austin.
- How to improve mental and behavioral health for Austinites.
- How to improve emergency response times within the City.
- Analyze the environment where officer involved shooting incidents occur.
Datasets Available on The Austin Open Data Portal (data.austintexas.gov):
- Austin Public Health - https://data.austintexas.gov/browse?category=Health+and+Community+Services&limitTo=datasets&page=1
- Austin Public Health Locations - https://data.austintexas.gov/browse?category=Health+and+Community+Services&limitTo=datasets&page=1
- Officer Involved Shooting Data- https://data.austintexas.gov/browse?q=OIS&sortBy=relevance
- 311 Unified Data - https://data.austintexas.gov/Utilities-and-City-Services/311-Unified-Data/i26j-ai4z/data
- Austin Code Complaint Cases- https://data.austintexas.gov/City-Government/Austin-Code-Complaint-Cases/6wtj-zbtb/data#column-menu
- Austin Police Department Data- https://data.austintexas.gov/browse?q=apd&sortBy=relevance&anonymous=true
- Emergency Medical Services Data- https://data.austintexas.gov/browse?q=ems&sortBy=relevance&anonymous=true
- Austin Fire Department Data- https://data.austintexas.gov/browse?q=AFD&sortBy=relevance&anonymous=true
- Austin Transportation Data - https://data.austintexas.gov/browse?limitTo=datasets&q=transportation
- City of Austin Building Permit Data - https://data.austintexas.gov/browse?q=building+permits
ShapeFiles Available on The Austin Open Data Portal (data.austintexas.gov):
- Single Member Council District - https://data.austintexas.gov/Locations-and-Maps/Single-Member-Council-Districts/69pm-tzkv
- City of Austin Street Segment - https://data.austintexas.gov/Locations-and-Maps/Street-Segment/t4fe-kr8c
- Sidewalk Network - https://data.austintexas.gov/Locations-and-Maps/Public-Works-Sidewalk-Network/ea6n-pgcf
- Police Stations - https://data.austintexas.gov/Public-Safety/Map-of-Austin-Police-Stations/fsgj-5xyt
- Austin Fire Department Stations - https://data.austintexas.gov/Public-Safety/Austin-Fire-Station-Map/szku-46rx
- City of Austin Parks - https://data.austintexas.gov/Locations-and-Maps/City-Of-Austin-Parks/99qw-4ixs
- Urban Trails - https://data.austintexas.gov/Locations-and-Maps/Urban-Trails/bxbe-ndaw
- Bicycle Facilities - https://data.austintexas.gov/dataset/Austin-Bicycle-Facilities/kfe9-st9c
- B-Cycle Trips - https://data.austintexas.gov/Transportation-and-Mobility/Austin-B-Cycle-Trips/tyfh-5r8s
- Large Shapefiles - https://austintexas.app.box.com/s/8ah8itbha7u6lis9eipypnz5ljvwta4t
- Austin Transportation Data Inventory - http://atd.knack.com/data-inventory#open-data-inventory/
- City of Austin's GIS Feature Service Directory - http://services.arcgis.com/0L95CJ0VTaxqcmED/ArcGIS/rest/services/
- API Documentation for GIS Feature Service Directory - http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgis-rest-api/#/Feature_Service/02r3000000z2000000/
- Address Locator - http://www.austintexas.gov/gis/rest/Geocode/COA_Address_Locator/GeocodeServer
- Place Locator - http://www.austintexas.gov/GIS/REST/Geocode/COA_Composite_Locator/GeocodeServer
- API Documentation for the Locators - http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgis-rest-api/index.html#/Geocode_Service/02r3000000q9000000/
- National Centers for Environmental Information - https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/
- Texas Department of State Health Services Mortality Data - http://healthdata.dshs.texas.gov/VitalStatistics/Death
- Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission Data - https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/PublicInquiry/Roster.aspx
- IPUMS USA US Census Data for Social, Economic, and Health Research - https://usa.ipums.org/usa/
- University of Texas Database of Deaths in Custody and Officer - Involved Shooting Incidents- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X8e1DcIJFtVLjagkBx1L8HIxuSNetYQkh2N-JBfVnoE/edit#gid=664030083
- Information about Unviersity of Texas Database of Deaths in Custody and Officer Involved Shooting Incidents
- (Project) Predicting animal adoptions in the Austin animal shelter - https://data.world/rdowns26/austin-animal-shelter
- (Project) Texas campaign contribution data - https://data.world/zach/texas-data
- (Project) Austin Crime Report from 2015 - https://data.world/dash/austin-crime-report-2015
- (Project) Police Traffic Stop Records from the U.S. state of Texas 2006–2015 - https://data.world/dataneer/tsopp-tx
- (Project) Number of female speakers at meetup events - https://data.world/flexyford/wespeaktoo
- City of Austin Strategic Plan Metrics - https://austinstrategicplan.bloomfire.com/posts/1491009-council-strategy-workshop-iv-on-metrics-11-30-17
- Safety Challenge Statement - https://austinstrategicplan.bloomfire.com/series/40208/posts/1488461
- Health Challenge Statement - https://austinstrategicplan.bloomfire.com/series/40208/posts/1481598
Emergency Response Time Modeling with Math Magic – The team sought to understand factors that contribute to public safety response times. What predicts a late response? Is it Monday? If so, the data shows a slower response. Is it 4 or 5 o’clock? Then, is it traffic or something else slowing down responders? The results demonstrate how data analytics can position local government to be more proactive and effective with its limited resources.
- Github Repo : https://github.com/madderle/Hack-Austin
- Presentation : https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1WwAACWIQ59LIEDM-Yl4xTxevmXuWq1W3hynG-mhbmY8/edit#slide=id.p
Healthcare Rides – giving rides to people with urgent, chronic medical needs. The team discovered eight hot spots around Austin for Emergency Medical Services (EMS) calls. In collaboration with nonprofit Ride Austin, Healthcare Rides seeks to serve Austin’s vulnerable residents and save taxpayer dollars. During the hackathon, the team built technical infrastructure to facilitate issuing and validating ride vouchers.
- Github Repo : https://github.com/rmathur101/healthcare_rides
- Presentation : https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cXxUhq2JyHX_tkW0XXnps7vmmY_zVxLwTt89jSHOj4g/edit#slide=id.g2c04d95ccb_0_18
Here is a listing of the other projects that were presented:
Austin Police Shootings – In an effort to understand why, where, and how police shootings are happening in Austin, Team Macro studied environmental factors connected to shootings at ZIP code level. To add a human element to the data, the team also interviewed a police officer involved in a shooting incident. Based on their analysis, the team recommended civic interventions to bolster education, income, and housing relief opportunities (many of which the City’s Economic Opportunity & Affordability Outcome team are working on).
- Github Repo : https://github.com/christian10992/HackAustin2017
UT Data Analytics – In between finishing up projects for college finals this weekend, this group of University of Texas students delved into the City’s Annual Community Survey results to look for correlations in the data set.
- Github Repo :
Geofencing for Safety in Austin – Leveraging Austin 3-1-1 data to allow residents to filter out events they want to avoid – such as flooding, and potentially be notified and re-route to another direction.
- Github Repo : https://github.com/kgandhi5/halcyon