Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
CKAN hosting guidelines
For a large national portal with heavy traffic:
- 2 * Servers with 8GB of RAM (One for Web and one for the Database/solr)
- 160GB hard drive on both. (You may want more storage on the Web server if you intend to do a lot of file storage)
- Quad core processors (faster better)
For a city level portal with lower traffic levels:
- 2 * Servers with 2GB of RAM (Web and DB/solr)
- 80GB hard drive on both. (You may want more storage on the Web server if you intend to do a lot of file storage)
- Dual core processors
Recommend: Ubuntu 16.04 64bit (deb package available). Redhat/Centos have also been tested and all main linux distributions should work.
- Nginx, for https and caching
- Python 2.7.x
- Tomcat/Jetty + Solr
- Postgres 9.3 +
- The Web and DB can be on same server but we recommend separation for security reasons so DB is not publicly available.
- As well as the production servers above we would also recommend creating a staging environment so any new development work can be tested prior to deploying to the live environment. This staging environment can use lower specification hardware but the configuration should obviously mirror the production environment.