Walkabout is your mobile tour guide for iOS, serving as an alternative to private tour guides or large tour groups. When you approach one of Walkabout's monuments, the app voices a brief description and history, and displays a photo and text transcript. Walkabout features eight monuments, and may be expanded to include many more.
Team: Andrew Kim Devin Mandelbaum Claire Samuels Zander Nelson
- At opening, the application displays a fullscreen map centered on your location.
- Your location is marked with a blue dot. Monuments are marked with Walkabout's icon.
- When you step within range of a monument, it automatically switches to a detail view and starts audio narration.
- The detail view displays a photo of the monument and a text transcript of the narration. At the top is a tab bar for toggling detail and map views. Above the text are audio controls.
- The audio controls let you restart, play/resume, and pause.
- When you go out of range of the monument, the you're returned to the fullscreen map.
- We wrote our own geofencing algorithm, using the Pythagorean Theorem to establish our distance from each monument.
- We used React-Native-Sound as our audio player, and MapView Component to display our maps and follow the user's location.
- We used the built-in Location Services via Background Geolocation for React Native to acquire the current position of the user.