A simple, plaintext recipe database for hackers
This is a Jekyll build. Make sure you have Jekyll installed. To install, run this command in the terminal (or iTerm, etc):
gem install bundler jekyll
or to check if you've got it installed already:
Clone or download this repo. Navigate to the folder in terminal (or iTerm, etc), and then run:
With default settings, you should be able to view the site locally at
Writing a Recipe
The recipes are stored in the collection "Recipes" (the folder /_recipes).
They are written in Markdown and contain a few special sections:
- The frontmatter, which contains:
- Title, Image, and Layout (which is "recipe")
- Ingredients (a list of things in the dish)
- Directions (a list of steps for the dish)
- Body content (for intros, stories, written detail)
If you need help with Markdown, here's a handy cheatsheet.
Writing a component recipe
A component recipe is a special recipe made up of other recipes. To make a new component recipe:
- place your smaller, single recipes into the /_components folder
- make a new recipe like normal in the /_recipes folders
- in the frontmatter of this new recipe, include your recipes from the /_components folder (instead of the usual Ingredeints list)
You can an example on the Red Berry Tart recipe.