AP Computer Science A - Student Handouts
Welcome to AP Computer Science A. Here you will find all the handouts you will need. This course introduces students to computer science with fundamental topics which includes problem-solving, design strategies and methodologies, data structures, approaches to processing data (algorithms), analysis of potential solutions, and the ethical and social implications of computing. These techniques represent proven approaches for developing solutions that can scale up from small, simple problems to large, complex problems. This course's curriculum is compatible with many CS1 courses in colleges and universities. Here is the class syllabus. If you need to contact me, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at (916) 714-8150 x 41912.
Handout By Units
- Unit 1: Setup, Number Systems, First Java Program, and Errors
- Unit 2: Control Flow / Selections
- Unit 3: The Math and String Class
- Unit 4: Iteration / Loops
- Unit 5: Methods / Functions
- Unit 6: 1-D Arrays
- Unit 7: Searching and Sorting
- Unit 8: 2-D Arrays
- Unit 9: The ArrayList, Integer, and Double class.
- Unit 10: Intro to Classes and Objects.
- Unit 11: An Intro to Resursion.
- Unit 12: Inheritance and Composition.
- Unit 13: Polymorphism.
- Unit 14: Abstract Classes and Interfaces.
- Unit 15: Using Swing to create small GUI.
Documents from the College Board
- AP Computer Science Java Subset: The topics covered on the AP CS A Exam.
- Apendix B: A cheet sheet alowed on my tests and the AP CS A Exam.
- Course Description: The course description from the college board.
Bash, Text Editors and IDEs
- Bash (WSL) Setup: The Steps you need to Set Up the WSL.
- Visual Studio Code: Code editing Redefined.
- ATOM: A hackable text editor for the 21st Century.
- GDB Online is a free online Java IDE (Integrated Development Environment).
- Jeliot is an IDE that stes through code.
- DrJava is a free IDE that you can download and run.
- BlueJ is another free IDE that you can download and run.
Other Resources to Learn and Practice
- Ericson: AP CSA - Jave Review is a free online Book.
- Learn Java is another online place to learn Java.
- Practice-It a web application to help you practice solving Java programming problems online.
Students' side projects and HP CodeWars
- Cool Student Work: Programs and projects that students did for fun.
- CodeWars is a first-class computer programming competition for high school students. It is hosted in Austin, Bangalore, Palo Alto, Roseville, Taipei, Barcelona, and Newcastle. Here is a GitHub page I created to help you prepare for it.