A fork of ruby-debug(19) that works on 1.9.2 and 1.9.3 and installs easily for rvm/rbenv rubies.
$ gem install debugger # If install fails, try passing headers path $ gem install debugger -- --with-ruby-include=PATH_TO_HEADERS
For Windows install instructions, see OLD_README.
On install, debugger tries to find your ruby's headers. If it's unable to find them and your ruby is a patch release, it will use headers included with debugger-ruby_core_source. For the list of rubies supported by debugger see here. If your ruby is not an official patch release i.e. head, dev or an rc, you are responsible for having headers and setting them with --with-ruby-include.
Wherever you need a debugger, simply:
require 'debugger'; debugger
To use with bundler, drop in your Gemfile:
At initialization time, debugger loads config files, executing their lines as if they were actual commands a user has typed. config files are loaded from two locations:
- ~/.rdebugrc (~/rdebug.ini for windows)
- $PWD/.rdebugrc ($PWD/rdebug.ini for windows)
Here's a common configuration (yeah, I should make this the default):
set autolist set autoeval set autoreload
To see debugger's current settings, use the
For a list of commands:
(rdb: 1) help
Most commands are described in rdebug's man page
$ gem install gem-man $ man rdebug
Reason for Fork
- ruby-debug19 maintainer isn't maintaining:
- Despite patches from ruby core, no gem release in 2+ years! - 9/1/09.
- Requests to release a known working 1.9.3 version have been ignored.
- Doesn't respond to rubyforge issues and doesn't have github issues open.
- Current install is painful. Requires either manually downloading gems from rubyforge and installing with compiler flags or recompiling ruby.
- We need a decent ruby debugger for future rubies!
What's different from ruby-debug19
- Works on 1.9.2 and 1.9.3
- 1.9.2 points to ruby-debug-base19-0.11.25 headers
- 1.9.3 points to ruby-debug-base19-0.11.26 headers
- Install painlessly for rvm and rbenv rubies i.e. no compiler flags needed
- No downloading ruby source during install - was behavior of old ruby_core_source dependency
- Fix LocalJumpError caused by using proc in extconf.rb
- Fix where command failing at top level
- Passing tests are up on travis-ci
- Works on 1.9.2 and 1.9.3
- The gem name matches the module namespace, Debugger, and main required file, debugger.
- ruby-debug-base19 and ruby-debug19 are released as one gem
- Rake tasks have been updated
- No more $LOAD_PATH manipulation or runtime code outside of lib
- man page available via gem-man
Please report them on github.
- If you place a debugger call at the end of a block, debugging will start at the next step and outside of your block. A simple work-around is to place a meaningless step (i.e. puts "STAY") at the end of your block and before debugger.
See here for contribution policies. Let's keep this working for the ruby community!
- debugger-completion - autocompletion for debugger commands and more
- debugger-pry - using pry within debugger
- pry-debugger - using debugger within pry
- Thanks to the original authors: Kent Sibilev and Mark Moseley
- Contributors: ericpromislow, jnimety, adammck, hipe
- Fork started on awesome @relevance fridays!
- Fix test/test-*.rb
- Port some of bashdb's docs
- Use ~/.debuggerrc and bin/debugger and gracefully deprecate rdebug*
- Work with others willing to tackle jruby, rubinius or windows support