A fork of ruby-debug19 that works on 1.9.3 and installs easily for rvm/rbenv rubies. 1.9.2 support coming...
$ gem install debugger # If install fails, try passing headers path $ gem install debugger -- --with-ruby-include=PATH_TO_HEADERS
For Windows install instructions, see OLD_README.
To use in your Rails app, drop in your Gemfile:
Wherever you need a debugger, simply:
require 'debugger'; debugger
Reason for Fork
- ruby-debug19 maintainer isn't maintaining:
- Despite patches from ruby core, no gem release in 2+ years! - 9/1/09.
- Requests to release a known working 1.9.3 version have been ignored.
- Doesn't respond to rubyforge issues and doesn't have github issues open.
- Current install is painful. Requires either manually downloading gems from rubyforge and installing with compiler flags or recompiling ruby.
- We need a decent ruby debugger for future rubies!
What's different from ruby-debug19
- Works on 1.9.3 but not 1.9.2 yet
- Install painlessly for rvm and rbenv rubies i.e. no compiler flags needed
- Tests are up on travis-ci
- The gem name matches the module namespace, Debugger, and main required file, debugger.
- Rake tasks have been updated
- ruby-debug-base19 and ruby-debug19 are released as one gem
- No downloading ruby source during install - was behavior of old ruby_core_source dependency
- Fix LocalJumpError caused by using proc in extconf.rb
Please report them on github.
See here for contribution policies. Let's keep this working for the ruby community!
- Thanks to the original authors: Kent Sibilev and Mark Moseley
- Fork started on awesome @relevance fridays!
- Add back support for 1.9.2
- Doing something stupid simple i.e. copy latest ruby-debug19 that works and require as needed
- Fix test/test-*.rb
- Work with others willing to tackle jruby, rubinius or windows support
- Clean up (merge) lib + cli as separate runtime paths for ruby-debug-base19 and ruby-debug19