Tips, Tricks & Examples for Thunderbird E-mail New Add-On Development
The goal of this repository is to provide up-to-date information and examples in order to better "weather" the transition to Thunderbird's new extension structure. The new paradigm follows the WebExtension standard followed by most browsers these days. Obviously Thunderbird has different requirements from a browser extension even if Thunderbird relies and is based on Mozilla's Gecko core framework. Focus will be on the differences and transition issues. The new structure is termed "MailExtension" as this seems to be where it's going.
The approach I have taken is not so much a tutorial, but rather a set of references including working examples, gists, wiki entries and other transition information. Hopefully this approach will help both new and seasoned developers. For both, pointers to other tutorials or related documentation is also included.
- Development Environment & Tools: Help getting started
- Scaffolding: Bare metal folder & file structures - Copy and go!
- Hello Worlds - Several basic starting points
- TB68 Conversion Examples
- Basic component & contribution point example comparisons - small, specific granular issues
- Advanced Component and API comparisons - Advanced topic issues
- [Tag by tag XUL => HTML conversion]