Bringing Transparency to online tracking - built by Cliqz and Ghostery.
This repository contains:
- data on trackers and websites as shown on whotracks.me (WTM)
- database mapping tracker domains to companies
- code to render the whotracks.me site
Python 3.6 is needed to build the site. We recommend creating a
pipenv) to install the dependencies.
$ pip install whotracksme
$ pip install -r requirements.txt $ pip install -e .
That’s all you need to get started!
Using the data
To get started with the data, everything you need can be found in
from whotracksme.data.loader import DataSource data = DataSource() # available entities data.trackers data.companies data.sites
Building the site
Building the site requires a few extra dependencies, not installed by
default to not make the installation heavier than it needs to be. You
will need to install
whotracksme from the repository, because not all
assets are packaged with
whotracksme released on pypi:
$ pip install -r requirements-dev.txt $ pip install -e '.[dev]'
Once this is done, you will have access to a
whotracksme entry point
that can be used this way:
$ whotracksme website [serve]
serve part is optional and can be used while making changes on the
All generated artifacts can be found in the
To run tests, you will need
pytest, or simply install
$ pip install -e '.[dev]' $ pytest
Publishing a new version
$ pip install twine $ python setup.py sdist bdist_wheel $ twine upload --username cliqz-oss dist/*
We are happy to take contributions on:
- Guest articles for our blog in the topics of tracking, privacy and security. Feel free to use the data in this repository if you need inspiration.
- Feature requests that are doable using the WTM database.
- Curating our database of tracker profiles. Open an issue if you spot anything odd.
Right to Amend
Please read our Guideline for 3rd parties wanting to suggest corrections to their data.
The content of this project itself is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license, and the underlying source code used to generate and display that content is licensed under the MIT license.