Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Welcome to the clojureconj2016 wiki!
Food & Drinks
Google to find their current locations, also can check on twitter!
- Kebabalicious - Turkish Style Wraps
- Barton Springs Picnic - A Trailerpark of Trailers
- Arlo's - vegan comfort food
- My Thai Mom - small truck, at 1006 Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78701
- Garbo's - Lobster rolls
- Cooper's - Downtown, Large variety of meats, neat indoor seating.
- Uncle Billy's - Not walkable but cab/ridesharing-able Great Ribs!
- Stubbs - Downtown, Live music and great BBQ
- Lambert's - Downtown, Pricey, but delicious gourmet BBQ
- The Salt Lick - Driftwood (30 minute drive), Epic open pit BBQ in the heart of beautiful Central Texas hill country.
- The Salt Lick - Round Rock location - 30 min drive straight up 35 then take a right at RR. Come in the Spring and eat BBQ and see a RR Express Triple-A baseball game right beside Salt Lick.
- Iron Works - Good BBQ, walkable
- Iron Cactus - Downtown, Great Fajitas and Margaritas!
- Chupacabra Cantina - Downtown, Tasty tacos and beverages.
- Chuys - driveable, Great drinks and make sure you get the creamy jalapeno salsa!
- El Sol y La Luna Downtown, great fresh, interior Mexican cuisine dishes.
- Slake - walkable, inexpensive, eggs/biscuts, breakfast tacos, baked goods
- Cafe Crepe of Austin - walkable, sweet, savory, breakfast
- Annie's Cafe - walkable, breakfast, classics, reminds me of home cooking
- Austin Java - walkable, coffee and breakfast
- The Hideout - walkable, Austin’s oldest independent coffee house, coffee and pastries
- Houndstooth - Downtown location walkable, neat coffee house
- Counter Cafe - breakfast, lunch, dinner - featured in Guy Fieri's "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives"
- Voodoo Doughnuts - Doughnuts! on 6th street!
- Easy Tiger Coffee, Bread, Pastries in the morning
Great food and beverages
- Eurekas - Downtown, Burgers, Beer and 45 Whiskeys. Prides itself on scratch made food. They even make their own ketchup!
- B.D. Rileys - Downtown, Irish Pub and Restaurant, Corned Beef, Beer, Whiskey
- [Central Market Cafe] (http://www.centralmarket.com/location.aspx) - Local grocery store with a nice casual cafe that caters to all dietary needs. Lots of free samples in the store too.
- Gus's Fried Chicken - 6min walk, awesome fried chicken!
- Death Metal Pizza - Pizza! Death Metal!
- Via 313 and Home Slice Pizza - The Top Two best pizza in Texas!
- Gino's East - straight from Chicago to Austin's 6th street, get the sausage :)
- Frank and Angies
- H.E.B. Kosher Store, 7025 Village Center, 512-502-8445 (Hot sandwiches and catering available)
- Joe Bob's BBQ: Kosher BBQ food truck - check the website for opening hours.
- Randall's - Kosher Bakery, 5311 Balcones Dr. (Fresh bagels, Pastries and cakes)
- Frank's - Speciality hotdogs (including a legit Chicago Dog), vegan and gluten free options.
- Casino El Camino - Burgers. Big ones.
- Cu29 - Nice place, not too loud. If you love Bacon, try the HAWAIIAN ROSE
- Gingerman - walkable, 50 unique beers on tap from around the world, literally a wall of taps! Nice outdoor seating.
- Easy Tiger - Beer and Bake shop, nice outdoor seating. Sandwiches, sausages, cheese plates at lunch & dinner. This is a calmer part of 6th street and they have ping pong tables outdoors by the creek.
- Rainey Street - Walkable. A dozen or so bars all in a row.
- Houndstooth - Walkable. Excellent coffee, some of the best in town.
- Fleet - Slight trip. Previous evangelist from Cuvee, a local roaster, opens up his own shop serving Madcap, Olympia and other specialty roasters. Features a drink including fruity pebbles along with excellent espresso and filter coffees.
- Elephant Room - Jazz, About 3 blocks from the Hilton.
- Saxon Pub - Driveable/rideshare/bus, classic Austin place; great sound; lively; many popular acts play here
- Antone's - Home of the Blues
- 6th Street, many bars up and down this street play live music.
Sights and Things to Do
- State Capitol - Iconic with beautiful interiors.
- Austin Duck Adventures - A Bus .. that drives into the water!
- Austin Double Decker Bus Tours - Great for Photographers.
- Boat Tours - also rent canoes, standup paddles, kayaks.
- Red's Shooting Range - Indoor Range, rent equipment and buy ammo.
- Pinball - 3 Locations in Austin/Buda.
- Hiking: Lady Bird Lake Trail - Dirt and Cement trails, great for runners.
- Hiking: Mt. Bonnell - highest point in Austin with breathtaking views.
- Oasis Austin - if you have a car, this is worth the drive. You won't believe you are in Texas anymore.
- Texas Hill Country Wineries - if you have a car, 3-5 hours this is a treat. I've been to Duchmans.
- LBJ Presidential Library - driveable
- Zilker Park - Giant walking/running/biking park, inside city limits
- Long Center - Present Laughter is showing during Conj. http://thelongcenter.org/event/present-laughter/
Getting around Austin
No Uber or Lyft, but we have many quality alternatives:
- Fasten - Ride sharing
- FARE - Ride sharing
- Ride Austin - Non-profit Ride Sharing app that benefits local charities. Not the best UX historically, but definitely a good cause.
- AustinCab - (512) 478-2222
- Car2go - rent a small car, on-street parking costs you nothing!
- Austin BCycle - rent a bike and return it to any of the 40 stations. Great option for getting around downtown.
- Use Google Maps to find Buses, use Cap Metro App to buy tickets. Buses also take exact change (bills/coins).
Thanks to the fine folks at AustinClojure for compiling this list.