Clone this wiki locally
Welcome to the clojureconj2016 wiki!
Food & Drinks
Google to find their current locations, also can check on twitter!
- Kebabalicious - Turkish Style Wraps
- Barton Springs Picnic - A Trailerpark of Trailers
- Arlo's - vegan comfort food
- My Thai Mom - small truck, at 1006 Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78701
- Garbo's - Lobster rolls
- Cooper's - Downtown, Large variety of meats, neat indoor seating.
- Uncle Billy's - Not walkable but cab/ridesharing-able Great Ribs!
- Stubbs - Downtown, Live music and great BBQ
- Lambert's - Downtown, Pricey, but delicious gourmet BBQ
- The Salt Lick - Driftwood (30 minute drive), Epic open pit BBQ in the heart of beautiful Central Texas hill country.
- The Salt Lick - Round Rock location - 30 min drive straight up 35 then take a right at RR. Come in the Spring and eat BBQ and see a RR Express Triple-A baseball game right beside Salt Lick.
- Iron Works - Good BBQ, walkable
- Iron Cactus - Downtown, Great Fajitas and Margaritas!
- Chupacabra Cantina - Downtown, Tasty tacos and beverages.
- Chuys - driveable, Great drinks and make sure you get the creamy jalapeno salsa!
- El Sol y La Luna Downtown, great fresh, interior Mexican cuisine dishes.
- Slake - walkable, inexpensive, eggs/biscuts, breakfast tacos, baked goods
- Cafe Crepe of Austin - walkable, sweet, savory, breakfast
- Annie's Cafe - walkable, breakfast, classics, reminds me of home cooking
- Austin Java - walkable, coffee and breakfast
- The Hideout - walkable, Austin’s oldest independent coffee house, coffee and pastries
- Houndstooth - Downtown location walkable, neat coffee house
- Counter Cafe - breakfast, lunch, dinner - featured in Guy Fieri's "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives"
- Voodoo Doughnuts - Doughnuts! on 6th street!
- Easy Tiger Coffee, Bread, Pastries in the morning
Great food and beverages
- Eurekas - Downtown, Burgers, Beer and 45 Whiskeys. Prides itself on scratch made food. They even make their own ketchup!
- B.D. Rileys - Downtown, Irish Pub and Restaurant, Corned Beef, Beer, Whiskey
- Central Market Cafe - Local grocery store with a nice casual cafe that caters to all dietary needs. Lots of free samples in the store too.
- Gus's Fried Chicken - 6min walk, awesome fried chicken!
- Death Metal Pizza - Pizza! Death Metal!
- Via 313 and Home Slice Pizza - The Top Two best pizza in Texas!
- Gino's East - straight from Chicago to Austin's 6th street, get the sausage :)
- Frank and Angies
- H.E.B. Kosher Store, 7025 Village Center, 512-502-8445 (Hot sandwiches and catering available)
- Joe Bob's BBQ: Kosher BBQ food truck - check the website for opening hours.
- Randall's - Kosher Bakery, 5311 Balcones Dr. (Fresh bagels, Pastries and cakes)
- Frank's - Speciality hotdogs (including a legit Chicago Dog), vegan and gluten free options.
- Casino El Camino - Burgers. Big ones.
- Cu29 - Nice place, not too loud. If you love Bacon, try the HAWAIIAN ROSE
- Gingerman - walkable, 50 unique beers on tap from around the world, literally a wall of taps! Nice outdoor seating.
- Easy Tiger - Beer and Bake shop, nice outdoor seating. Sandwiches, sausages, cheese plates at lunch & dinner. This is a calmer part of 6th street and they have ping pong tables outdoors by the creek.
- Rainey Street - Walkable. A dozen or so bars all in a row.
- Houndstooth - Walkable. Excellent coffee, some of the best in town.
- Fleet - Slight trip. Previous evangelist from Cuvee, a local roaster, opens up his own shop serving Madcap, Olympia and other specialty roasters. Features a drink including fruity pebbles along with excellent espresso and filter coffees.
- Elephant Room - Jazz, About 3 blocks from the Hilton.
- Saxon Pub - Driveable/rideshare/bus, classic Austin place; great sound; lively; many popular acts play here
- Antone's - Home of the Blues
- 6th Street, many bars up and down this street play live music.
Sights and Things to Do
- State Capitol - Iconic with beautiful interiors.
- Austin Duck Adventures - A Bus .. that drives into the water!
- Austin Double Decker Bus Tours - Great for Photographers.
- Boat Tours - also rent canoes, standup paddles, kayaks.
- Red's Shooting Range - Indoor Range, rent equipment and buy ammo.
- Pinball - 3 Locations in Austin/Buda.
- Hiking: Lady Bird Lake Trail - Dirt and Cement trails, great for runners.
- Hiking: Mt. Bonnell - highest point in Austin with breathtaking views.
- Oasis Austin - if you have a car, this is worth the drive. You won't believe you are in Texas anymore.
- Texas Hill Country Wineries - if you have a car, 3-5 hours this is a treat. I've been to Duchmans.
- LBJ Presidential Library - driveable
- Zilker Park - Giant walking/running/biking park, inside city limits
- Long Center - Present Laughter is showing during Conj. http://thelongcenter.org/event/present-laughter/
Getting around Austin
No Uber or Lyft, but we have many quality alternatives:
- Fasten - Ride sharing
- FARE - Ride sharing
- Ride Austin - Non-profit Ride Sharing app that benefits local charities. Not the best UX historically, but definitely a good cause.
- AustinCab - (512) 478-2222
- Car2go - rent a small car, on-street parking costs you nothing!
- Austin BCycle - rent a bike and return it to any of the 40 stations. Great option for getting around downtown.
- Use Google Maps to find Buses, use Cap Metro App to buy tickets. Buses also take exact change (bills/coins).
Thanks to the fine folks at AustinClojure for compiling this list.