Make Windows 10 Great Again
Tweaks to make Windows 10 less annoying and more usable.
Here's what this script does:
- Disables Cortana
- Disables Notification Center
- Disables automatic reboots after Windows Updates have been installed
- Disables Microsoft.com accounts from Windows Login
- Shows file extensions for known file types
- Sets Explorer to open to "This PC"
- Shows hidden files (not including OS files)
- Uninstalls OneDrive
- Shows "This PC" icon on Desktop
- Enables developer mode (required for Linux Subsystem)
- Installs the Linux Subsystem
- Updates the Powershell Get-Help items
- Disables SMBv1
- Unpin all Start Menu items
- Disables WPAD
Unfortunately you'll have to set your execution policy to unrestricted to use this script.
From an Administrator Powershell prompt:
Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted cd MakeWindows10GreatAgain .\MakeWindows10GreatAgain.ps1 Set-ExecutionPolicy Restricted
I considered adding some tweaks to remove the default apps/tiles that come installed with the Win10 start menu, but I've been pleasantly surprised by Classic Shell. It's an excellent start menu replacement for Win10. I recommend just installing that.
This script doesn't address any of the privacy issues of Windows 10 because there are already a bunch of tools that already do that.