The CloudEvents Roadmap.
Note: The ordered lists for each milestone provide a way to reference each item; they don't imply an order for implementation.
Setup - Completed - 2018/02/26
- Establish governance, contributing guidelines and initial stakeholders.
- Define design goals for CloudEvents V.1.
- Describe the scope of the specification.
- Draft educational materials that provide context for reading the spec.
0.1 - Completed - 2018/04/20
- Draft specification that project members agree could provide interoperability.
- Include an initial set of use-cases for CloudEvents.
- Define a type system for CloudEvents values.
- Document at least 3 sample events that conform to the specification.
- Github repo is organized to be approachable to a engineers who might want to implement the spec.
- Finalize logo.
- Create and deploy a website that features a simple overview, email list and directs visitors to Github.
- Store all website assets in the CloudEvents repository, under the governance of the project.
- Have at least 2 implementations of the specification that can demonstrate interoperability.
- Include a specification for mapping the CloudEvents specification to HTTP.
- Include a specification for mapping the CloudEvents specification to JSON.
- Changes to the spec to facilitate adoption.
- Publicize at conferences (CloudNativeCon Europe).
- Interoperability demo.
- At least one open source implementation of sending and receiving events, see community open source.
- Events are sent by code written by Developer1 and received by code written by Developer2, where Developer1 has no knowledge of Developer2.
0.2 - Completed - 2018/12/06
- Incorporate learnings and feedback from interop demo to support wider adoption.
- Draft documentation, developer and/or user guide.
- Resolve all known large design issues (excluding security issues)
- Resolve all known "proposed required attributes" issues
- Interoperability demo 2
- Details to be determined
- Showcase demo at conferences - perhaps KubeCon NA 2018
- Define the set of protocol and serialization mappings we're going to produce for 0.4 milestone
- Resolve all known "proposed optional attributes" issues
- Resolve all known "security related" issues
- Review spec for practical-use issues:
- Consider context size limits
- Consider restricting character sets of
Stringproperties or key names
- Consider defining uniqueness constraints of event
- Consider which fields will be immutable (prevents annotation or redaction)
- Consider validating transport bindings with load tests
- Complete the proposed set of protocol and serialization mappings
- Resolve "Process" related issues
- Resolve outstanding clarifications and non-semantic issues
- Define and prioritize libraries and supporting tools that will accelerate adoption of CloudEvents