Kandan - Modern Open Source Chat
The slickest chat app out there. Open-source and well-supported to boot.
These are features that work out of the box on any provider:
- Easy deploy to Cloudfuji, CloudFoundry, Heroku, dotCloud, etc.
- Collaborative team chat
- Unlimited channels
- Embed formats for images and youtube videos with requests for others (twitter, facebook, g+, etc.)
- Synchronized sound player - play any audio-tag compatible url for the whole channel (Pending :P)
- /me command!
- Highly extensible plugin format
Cloudfuji Extended Features
In addition to the standard features above, Kandan can take advantage of Cloudfuji features when run on our cloud:
- One-click deploy
- Team-aware: Setup your team once, and have them in every Cloudfuji app
- Event-aware: Build widgets that display build status, customer signups, website status, and much more
SHUT UP AND LET ME USE IT
If you're part of the Cloudfuji Beta you already have access to Kandan with all the enhanced features from the app store.
Just click launch http://cloudfuji.com/apps/new?app=kandan; you and your team should be all setup.
git clone https://github.com/cloudfuji/kandan.git cd kandan bundle install bundle exec rake assets:precompile vmc push my-company-chat --path . --instances 1 --mem 256M --runtime ruby19
You'll answer a few questions:
Application Deployed URL [my-company-chat.cloudfoundry.com]: Detected a Rails Application, is this correct? [Yn]: Creating Application: OK Would you like to bind any services to 'my-company-chat'? [yN]: y Would you like to use an existing provisioned service? [yN]: n The following system services are available 1: mongodb 2: mysql 3: postgresql 4: rabbitmq 5: redis Please select one you wish to provision: 3 Specify the name of the service [postgresql-246de]: Creating Service: OK Binding Service [postgresql-246de]: OK Uploading Application: Checking for available resources: OK Processing resources: OK Packing application: OK Uploading (1M): OK Push Status: OK Staging Application: OK Starting Application: OK
And Kandan should be available on your Cloud Foundry backend now!
You'll need to have the heroku gem installed and to have an existing heroku account. Assuming that, this should work reliably on Heroku:
git clone https://github.com/cloudfuji/kandan.git cd kandan heroku create --stack cedar git push heroku master heroku run rake db:migrate kandan:bootstrap && heroku open echo "Done, go forth and chat!" # Not too bad
Your app should be up and running now. The admin email by default is
email@example.com with password
kandanadmin, or you can sign up as another user.
Looking for community help here.
Masochist server install
If you're looking to install Kandan on a private server (why??) then here are some notes you'll want to read:
# For development-mode sudo apt-get install nodejs # (execjs needs an execution environment) gem install execjs # (Could possibly be added to the gemfile in the assets group) # Add this to the gemfile: group :development do gem 'sqlite3' end # Get the new gems bundle install # Use the default database.yml to get started cp config/database.yml.sample config/database.yml # Edit config/database.yml if you want to use postgres/mysql # Bootstrap the install bundle exec rake db:create db:migrate kandan:bootstrap bundle exec thin start
See the issue tracker
That's not a question, it's an order! Or more of a friendly offer, really. Kandan is a fully open-source app, so dive in and start adding features, fixing bugs (what bugs?), and cleaning up the code.
- Talk with us on the [mailing list])(https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/cloudfuji)
- GitHub issues tracker
- Twitter @cloudfuji
- New-wave open-source meetup - we meetup once a month to share tips on how developers grow business around super high-quality open source software
- ... is there a fifth way? Telegram maybe?
- Sacha Greif for his amazing design job and exacting implementation standards on Kandan. A wonder and a pleasure to work with.
- Andrew Hampton For the initial manual server install instructions.
- Thomas Risberg For the Cloud Foundry install instructions and compatibility fixes.
- Cloudfuji for leading and sponsoring the initial development of Kandan
Kandan's code and assets are dual-licensed. Kanda is available generally under the AGPL, and also under a custom license via special agreement. See LICENSE for the AGPL terms, and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you're interested in development of Kandan under a custom license.