LXD Backup script
This small Bash script will backup your LXC container with help of the Rlone Cloud backuptool.
What does it do:
- This scripts creates a backup image from a snaphot from your LXC container that is managed with LXD.
- The script will upload your image to a cloudstore with Rlcone.
- Online backup of your LXC container
- Creates an easy and ready to use LXC image to import with the LXC import command.
What it does not cover:
- Create a constant database backup, this does not work with backups.
- Handle your data retention
You can run the script from the commandline, or place it in your cron.
- Install Rclone: https://github.com/ncw/rclone
- Make sure rclone works with your Cloudstorage provider
Install it by cloning this repostory on your LXC host:
git clone https://github.com/cloudrkt/lxdbackup
Then copy the lxdbackup to your $path:
cd lxdbackup && cp lxdbackup /usr/bin/
Don't forget to make it executable:
chmod +x /usr/bin/lxbackup
Then test it with:
How do I set it automatically?
Use a cronjob like this to backup your container every day of the week on 01:10:
10 1 * * * flock -n /tmp/lxdbackup.lock lxdbackup container-name
How do I restore a container?
Download your container image from your cloudstorage and import it with LXC or even import it directly if your cloudstorage provides a HTTP(S) download for your image.
lxc image import <file> --alias <name>
Import from HTTPS directly:
lxc image import https://cloudrkt.com/lxdbackup --alias restored-image