Donations are appreciated. Big thanks to those who donated previously.
Changes from 2.1.0 to 2.1.1:
- Added light version of the modern theme. Modern theme is now enabled by default. (Options > Player > Theme)
- Added advanced option to use MediaInfo to gather file durations when adding files to playlist
- Added support for multi-select in subtitle download dialog
- The "Add containing folder" action for playlist now inserts directly after the selected item
- Added a settings button on output settings page to open video renderer settings for MPCVR and MadVR.
- Fixed issue with libass and adjusting playback rate
- Fixed issue where libass did not work for SRT if file did not use UTF8
- Fixed mimetype related issue that prevented embedded fonts to be loaded for libass with certain files
- Fixed issue where window position/size was not remembered correctly if window had small size
Overview of features
A lot of people seem to be unaware of some of the awesome features that have been added to MPC-HC in the past years. Here is a list of useful options and features that everyone should know about:
- Play HDR video
This requires using either MPC Video Renderer (MPCVR) or madVR.
After installation these HDR capable renderers can be selected here:
Options > Playback > Output
With other video renderers, the colors will be wrong!
I recommend installing K-Lite Codec Pack. That includes MPC-HC and the renderers all in one easy to use package.
MPCVR is also available as a separate download below. MPCVR supports Dolby Vision. MadVR does not.
- Modern GUI Theme (Dark or Light)
Options > Player > Theme
It is also possible to change the height of the seekbar and size of the toolbar buttons.
Options > Advanced >DefaultToolbarSize
- Video preview on the seekbar
Options > Tweaks > Show preview on seek bar
- Adjust playback speed
Menu > Play > Playback rate
The buttons in the player that control playback rate take a 2x step by default. This can be customized to smaller values (like 10%):
Options > Playback > Speed step
Adjusting playback speed works best with the internal audio renderer. This also has automatic pitch correction.
Options > Playback > Output > Audio Renderer
- MPC-HC can remember playback position, so you can resume from that point later
Options > Player > History
- You can quickly seek through a video with Ctrl + Mouse Scrollwheel.
- You can jump to next/previous file in a folder by pressing PageUp/PageDown.
- You can perform automatic actions at end of file. For example to go to next file or close player.
Options > Playback > After Playback (permanent setting)
Menu > Play > After Playback (for current file only)
- A-B repeat
You can loop a segment of a video. Press [ and ] to set start and stop markers.
- You can rotate/flip/mirror/stretch/zoom the video
Menu > View > Pan&Scan
This is also easily done with hotkeys (see below).
- There are lots of keyboard hotkeys and mouse actions to control the player. They can be customized as well.
Options > Player > Keys
Tip: there is a search box above the table.
- You can stream videos directly from Youtube and many other video websites
Put yt-dlp.exe in the MPC-HC installation folder.
Then you can open website URLs in the player: Menu > File > Open File/URL
You can even download those videos: Menu > File > Save a copy
Tip: to be able to download in best quality with yt-dlp, it is recommended to also put ffmpeg.exe in the MPC-HC folder.
Several YDL configuration options are found here: Options > Advanced
This includes an option to specify the location of yt-dlp.exe in case you don't want to put it in MPC-HC folder.
- Ability to search for and download subtitles, either automatically or manually (press D):
Options > Subtitles > Misc
- Besides all these (new) features, there have also been many bugfixes and internal improvements in the player in the past years that give better performance and stability. It also has updated internal codecs. Support was added for CUE sheets, WebVTT subtitles, etc.