Seuss is a simple English-like programming language created to help young children learn the very basics of programming. Included in this project is a static library, to be used in 3rd-party applications, and a command line utility to run Seuss scripts.
To get started, you should first install the command line utility. Seuss includes a simple Makefile, and an Xcode project. The simplest way to install is with make. This will install the executable, library, and header files to /usr. These can be changed by manually modifying the Makefile.
To install, run the following command from the directory where you downloaded Seuss.
$ make install
To make sure you've installed, try running a sample file.
$ seuss samples/madlib.seuss
- Built-in commands:
- Built-in constants:
- String literals
- Function definitions
- Numbers and math expressions
- Booleans and boolean expressions
- String functions
Seuss is licensed under the BSD license, which is reproduced in its entirety here:
Copyright (c) 2012, Cory Kilger. All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of the Cory Kilger nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.