Visit the project's website at http://ghost.org!
Full documentation is available at http://docs.ghost.org.
Want to report a bug, request a feature, or help us build or translate Ghost? Check out our in depth guide to Contributing to Ghost. We need all the help we can get! You can also join in with our community to keep up-to-date and meet other Ghosters.
There are two main ways to get started with Ghost, take care to use the method which best suits your needs.
Please note - the downloadable zip files we provide on Ghost.org are pre-built packages designed for getting started quickly. Cloning from the git repository requires you to install several dependencies and build the assets yourself.
Getting Started Guide for Bloggers
If you just want to get a Ghost blog running in the fastest time possible, this method is for you.
- Install Node.js - Ghost requires Node v0.10.*
- Download the latest Ghost package from Ghost.org. If you cloned the GitHub repository you should follow the instructions for developers.
- Create a new directory where you would like to run the code, and unzip the package to that location.
- Fire up a terminal (or node command prompt in Windows) and change directory to the root of the Ghost application (where config.example.js and index.js are)
npm install --productionto install the node dependencies. If you see
error Error: ENOENTon this step, make sure you are in the project directory and try again.
- To start ghost, run
http://localhost:2368/in your web browser or go to
http://localhost:2368/ghostto log in
Getting Started Guide for Developers
If you're a theme, app or core developer, or someone comfortable getting up and running from a
git clone, this method is for you.
Updating with the latest changes
Documentation on updating can be found in the Ghost Guide
Logging in For The First Time
Once you have the Ghost server up and running, you should be able to navigate to
http://localhost:2368/ghost/ from a web browser, where you will be prompted for a login.
- Click on the "register new user" link
- Enter your user details
- Return to the login screen and use those details to log in.
Note - this is still very alpha. Not everything works yet.
Keep track of Ghost development and Ghost community activity.
- Follow Ghost on Twitter, Facebook and Google+.
- Read and subscribe to the The Official Ghost Blog.
- Join in discussions on the Ghost Forum
- Chat with Ghost developers on IRC. We're on
irc.freenode.net, in the
#Ghostchannel. We have a public meeting every Tuesday at 5:30pm London time.
For transparency and insight into our release cycle, and for striving to maintain backward compatibility, Ghost will be maintained according to the Semantic Versioning guidelines as much as possible.
Releases will be numbered with the following format:
Constructed with the following guidelines:
- A new major release indicates a large change where backwards compatibility is broken.
- A new minor release indicates a normal change that maintains backwards compatibility.
- A new patch release indicates a bugfix or small change which does not affect compatibility.
- A new build release indicates this is a pre-release of the version.
Copyright & License
Copyright (C) 2013 The Ghost Foundation - Released under the MIT License.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.