amitools - various AmigaOS tools for other platforms
- written by Christian Vogelgsang firstname.lastname@example.org
- under the GNU Public License V2
amitools is a collection of (currently python 2.x only) tools that I've written to work with Amiga OS binaries and files on Mac OS X. But they should work on all other platforms supporting Pythons, too.
I focus with my tools on classic Amiga setups, i.e. a 680x0 based system with Amiga OS 1.x - 3.x running on it. However, this is an open project, so you can provide other Amiga support, too.
The tools are mostly developer-oriented, so a background in Amiga programming will be very helpful.
- lhafile - FS Edition: required to use
First make sure to have the Python package installer
On macOS you have multiple ways of installing
sudo easy_install pip
MacPorts Package Manager
On macOS using MacPorts package manager (Tool is called
sudo port install py27-pip
Homebrew Package Manager
With the Homebrew package manager (
pip is included in the
brew install python
On Linux Ubuntu use the provided packages
sudo apt-get install python-pip
Windows with Visual Studio
- Install the latest native Windows Python 2.7.x from python.org
- There is a special Edition for Visual Studio available that allows to compile Python 2.7 modules: Install VCPython2.7
- Open the Command Shell of the Compiler and run
C:\Python27\Scripts pip install amitools
Windows with MSYS2
- (I use the mingw gcc compiler here to build the extension)
- On Windows with MSYS2 (use x86_64 version if possible):
- Install with exe installer
- Initial update is done with: (Open shell first)
pacman -Sy pacman --needed -S bash pacman msys2-runtime
- Now close shell and re-open a new dev shell (
MinGW-w64 Win64 Shell)
pacman -Su pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-python2-pip mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc git make
The Easy Way
pip install amitools
- on Linux/macOS use
- requires a host C compiler to compile the extension.
- Clone the Git repo: amitools@git
- Ensure to have Cython installed:
sudo pip install cython
- You have multiple variants to install the tools with Python's
- Global Install is available for all users of your system and needs root privileges
sudo python setup.py install
- User Install is available for your user only but does not require special privileges
python setup.py install --user
- Developer Setup only links this code into your installation and allows you to change/develop the code and test it immediately. (I prefer user install here)
python setup.py develop --user
- Run In Place allows you to run the binaries directly from the
bindirectory without any installation. You need
makeonly to build the native library of vamos:
python setup.py build_ext -i
vamos V)irtual AM)iga OS
vamos allows you to run command line (CLI) Amiga programs on your host Mac or PC. vamos is an API level Amiga OS Emulator that replaces exec and dos calls with its own implementation and maps all file access to your local file system.
Create and modify ADF or HDF disk image files.
Scan directory trees for ADF or HDF disk image files and verify the contents.
Create or modify disk images with Rigid Disk Block (RDB)
A tool to inspect, dissect, and build Amiga Kickstart ROM images to be used with emulators, run with soft kickers or burned into flash ROMs.
The hunktool uses amitools' hunk library to load a hunk-based amiga binary. Currently, its main purpose is to display the contents of the files in various formats.
You can load hunk-based binaries, libraries, and object files. Even overlayed binary files are supporte.
This little tool is a companion for vamos. It allows you to dump and get further information on the API C structure of AmigaOS used in vamos.
This tool reads the fd (function description) files Commodore supplied for all of their libraries and dumps their contents in different formats including a code structure used in vamos.
You can query functions and find their jump table offset.
This library allows to read Amiga OS loadSeg()able binaries and represent them in a python structure. You could query all items found there, retrieve the code, data, and bss segments and even relocate them to target addresses
This library allows to read a subset of the ELF format mainly used in AROS m68k.
.fd File Parser
Parse function descriptions shipped by Commodore to describe the Amiga APIs
OFS and FFS File System Tools
Create or modify Amiga's OFS and FFS file system structures
I've written some scanners that walk through file trees and retrieve the file data for further processing. I support file trees on the file system, in lha archives or in adf/hdf disk images