A website that showcases projects! If you want to use it and it's not exactly fitting your purpose, please do make upstream changes. We expect this project to be of use to others and we're happy to make it more generic so it's easier to adapt to other organizations. This was built by coala community, to view live projects visit projects.coala.io
(It'd be nice to have an organization YML or so e.g.)
This is designed for GSoC but can be used for other initiatives at the same time. We use it for research theses, GSoC, GCI and maybe others in the future.
- It's way more appealing to students.
- You can search and filter projects.
- Project ideas as structured data are more concise and you're sure to have all points covered - at the same time we can show students an overview and showing the full information only when needed.
- A proper review process can be used for triaging and iterating on project ideas.
- Stop wasting time maintaining a mentors list. This can be generated from the projects.
To clone the repository and run this website on your local machine, install Jekyll for your OS and type the following commands:
$ sudo gem install jekyll bundler $ git clone https://github.com/coala/projects.git $ cd projects $ bundle install $ bundle exec jekyll serve
Then you can simply go to either of the following addresses in your browser to access the site:
If you face problems while installing Jekyll or using its gem bundler you may go through its troubleshooting docs
Mentors and admins can define projects in markdown using the following structure and save it in the
_projects folder with a relevant filename.
A sample project definition is available here
Users can also add FAQs by simply creating a markdown file in _faq folder.
Format for faq markdown file is as follows:
--- Question: <Write the question here> --- Answer
Multi Language Support
coala Projects supports multiple 'human languages'. To add a translation of a project in a language, the following steps can be followed:
- Create a folder with language code in
projectsfolder if they do not exist already.
- Add translated content of a project inside
projectsfolder. The names of the file should be same.
- Similiarly translated content of a faq goes inside
data/locale/ < language-id > /faqfolder.
- For the faq.json and projects.json metadata, refer to Bahasa and Hindi
Translations available in
- Lastly, in
resources/js/app.jsfile, Add the new language json in Language service.